50-55 TV Conservatory £1000

PJwebbs

So, my old 50" Sony packed in last week :( It's time for a new TV. It's been a while since I bought a TV so I'm looking for advice and recommendations.

The TV would be sitting on the wall in a large, glass roofed conservatory. Day time viewing has always been a bit of an issue, the older Sony (KDL50W809c) struggled due to the sheer brightness of the room. It was pretty much unwatchable from about 12-4 as the sun would be shining on it. I'd say we have a 30/70 spilt day and night viewing on this TV.

I'm looking to maybe go up to a 55, and wanting something future proof (maybe a ps5 purchase down the road) along with something that can handle, or at least deal with the rooms brightness a bit better.

Am I expecting too much of a TV when it's pretty much in direct sunlight??

We do mainly watch at night and use it as the main movie TV to so would like something that looks brill and has Dolby compatibility, Atmos sound down the line... Possibly... 🤞

I'm tempted by another Sony due to the smooth motion the last one had, it looked magnificent in full HD but I'm not sure now we are moving on to 4k... I don't want any motion blur or so called 'soap opera' effect.

Any recommendations would be amazing as I'm finding it so hard to pick!

Cheers in advance!

vickster

Distinguished Member
Sony 55XH9505, on special at John Lewis down from £900 to £700?
And some blinds?

DavidT

The Sony 9505 may be good with glare but in direct sunlight the rainbow effect will probably be a killer!

Dodgexander

The Sony 9505 may be good with glare but in direct sunlight the rainbow effect will probably be a killer!
I think the rainbow effect is caused by the anti glare filter. Its the same on the Samsung models that have the better anti reflective coating.

PJwebbs

Yeah I'm starting to think I might be expecting too much when having the sun shining directly on the TV. Is the Sony mentioned good enough to display a ps5 on though?? No HDMI 2.1 and no [email protected]?? Is this real concern?

Dodgexander

Yeah I'm starting to think I might be expecting too much when having the sun shining directly on the TV. Is the Sony mentioned good enough to display a ps5 on though?? No HDMI 2.1 and no [email protected]?? Is this real concern?
You don't miss what you don't have, but its certainly a nice feature, and one of the reasons people choose Samsung over Sony.

You could of course wait for the new models to come down in price, and get both. Possibly come Black Friday or later.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom