Question 50-55" for Netflix + Games

cxie

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m looking for an LCD TV to hang on a wall in my living room, which will be used for streaming movies/shows from Netflix/Amazon and games from my PC via a Steam Link (which makes me want to avoid OLED).

My living room is 3.7m wide, with an L shaped sofa and an armchair against the wall opposite the TV, meaning I want to avoid TVs with an overly narrow viewing angle. I’ve been looking at the Samsung 55Q90T and the Sony KD55XH9505, both of which I can pick up refurb’d for £830.

I‘ve read through a number of advice threads but would appreciate any input on if these are my best options? I don’t replace my electronics often so struggling to balance value with longevity.

Also - if I’m willing to sacrifice HDR to reduce my costs (to around the 550 mark), what would be a viable alternative?

Cheers

See here for the options sorted by price and viewing angle/panel type

See here for the options sorted by price and viewing angle/panel type

This is one of the threads I’ve already read, and in fact where I found the suggestion for the XH9505 - was just looking for any other alternatives and suggestions based on similar experiences

This is one of the threads I’ve already read, and in fact where I found the suggestion for the XH9505 - was just looking for any other alternatives and suggestions based on similar experiences
There are other cheaper options but the 9505 is the most oft recommended.
Buy with an extended warranty if you can :thumbsdow

There are other cheaper options but the 9505 is the most oft recommended.
Buy with an extended warranty if you can :thumbsdow

Thanks for the reply. R.E. warranty - is that a general recommendation, or based on issues with the 9505?

Thanks for the reply. R.E. warranty - is that a general recommendation, or based on issues with the 9505?
Any TV

The Samsung Q90T and Sony XH9505 are about equal.
If you buy from the Sony centre refurb shop, or a local store you can add an extended warranty. Not sure if you can do that for the Samsung.

For no HDR any low or mid tier TV is fine. The Hisense U7Q is the best of the low tier due to a little better HDR, but other TVs have different strengths which may be better for a predominant SDR TV.

The Samsung Q90T and Sony XH9505 are about equal.
If you buy from the Sony centre refurb shop, or a local store you can add an extended warranty. Not sure if you can do that for the Samsung.

For no HDR any low or mid tier TV is fine. The Hisense U7Q is the best of the low tier due to a little better HDR, but other TVs have different strengths which may be better for a predominant SDR TV.

Thanks for the insight. The viewing angles on the U7/U8 are worrying me a little, do you think that’s warranted with a room like mine? If so, what sort of model is a better (wider) alternative around the same point? I see you recommend the Nano 85/86 but they’re a bit higher at ~£650 - if wider angles are what I’m after, is it worth the extra 150?

It really depends on the angle itself. You'll have to measure/estimate it. You get 20-30 (40-60 degree cone) from the centre of the TV to play with usually with LCD TVs using VA type panels. If you go for a higher end LCD TV with a VA panel and a wide viewing angle filter you get better viewing angles.

Otherwise you have to pick TVs using IPS panels in the guide. Generally TVs using IPS panels have worse picture quality, particularly if you want to view in darker conditions.

So what are the viewing angles required? And does the main viewing position need to have good viewing angles, or only positions that are occupied by people less critical of picture quality?

It really depends on the angle itself. You'll have to measure/estimate it. You get 20-30 (40-60 degree cone) from the centre of the TV to play with usually with LCD TVs using VA type panels. If you go for a higher end LCD TV with a VA panel and a wide viewing angle filter you get better viewing angles.

Otherwise you have to pick TVs using IPS panels in the guide. Generally TVs using IPS panels have worse picture quality, particularly if you want to view in darker conditions.

So what are the viewing angles required? And does the main viewing position need to have good viewing angles, or only positions that are occupied by people less critical of picture quality?

Viewing Angles are just about 35° (70° cone). Main viewing positions are within a 40° cone however. Will a U8 be suitable enough for that sort of environment? I’ve seen a month old 55" model up for £500 and am considering it if the angles aren’t too much of an issue.

Main viewing positions are within a 40° cone however. Will a U8 be suitable enough for that sort of environment
Viewing angles are a problem on TVs using VA panels. Your main viewing positions will probably be okay. The secondary ones will be touch and go.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom