50/50 money split between speakers/amp and recent price rises

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by wizbongre, Feb 10, 2009.

1. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Hi All,

This is a bit of a philosophical question really and I just wondered what others thought…

I’ve read lots over the years about needing to match your speakers with your amp/receiver, i.e. £1000 on speakers and £1000 on amp for instance. Obviously this is only a guide and it all should always come down to personal preference but I wondered what the recent price rises due to currency fluctuations mean to this guideline?

For example, I’ve been shortlisting new receivers to replace my ageing Yammy and had basically decided on the Denon 3808a which I could purchase for £999.00 from certain online retailers. Now, the same unit is selling at ~£1600 at the same places…

So, how does this affect the budget split?! Overnight it’s made a complete mockery of any price-matched speakers I’d shortlisted!

What do others think?

2. SwampieUK

SwampieUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What do I think?

Either that speaker manufacturers should put their prices up to match (therefore maintaining the hyped 50/50 split)...

or... that common sense prevails and you see the 50/50 split as a very rough guide - one to prevent you from spending excessive amounts on a top of the range amp, but then only having peanuts for speakers.

If you really wanted to be pedantic, then every time somone buys brand new amp and 2nd hand speakers, they may break the rule. Do you go on MSRP or actual retail prices? Or even eBay prices? What if you're importing - should you include taxes and duty?

BTW - I just spent £200 on a DSP-AX463 amp and £50 on a set of 5.1 speakers (NS-P110), and I'm very pleased with my purchase! 80/20 split in my case.