1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 years old this year!!

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by Black 5, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's been a while since I was around here and as I've made a few detail changes over time, thought it might be worth posting and putting up some pictures.
    Equipment is mostly TMA with the DVD32R with PSM, AV32RDP 7.1, 5x100R, 3x250R and a little used T32 tuner. Cables are a mixture of Cable Talk Viper/Broadcast and main speakers are bi-wired with Chord Legend. Other Chord cables handle the component output. Projector is a trusty Sony VW10HT pointing at an 8 foot Da Matt fixed screen and speakers are all B&W (CDM9nt, and CDMnt centre and 2 pr of the CDM nt surrounds) matched to a M&K 350 MkII. The whole set up has received TMREQ treatment after a visit from Barry and I spent more than a few happy hours (!) doing a SMART calibration of my projector, to which I've added a red filter.
    Automation is taken care of by an IR splitter etc, Tagtronic interface and an original Pronto that has received many hours of tweaking - every DVD I have has its own 'routine' programmed in as a macro so it runs with one press on the Pronto screen. Curtains (Swish) and lights (Futronix) are all controlled remotely with this also.
    For fun, I have a NGC plugged into the second component input on my projector.
    The biggest and most important step in my cinema was not buying the equipment though, but building a completely separate room onto my house where I can listen as loud as I like without any interference. Walls are thick which keeps the heat in (handy in the Winter!) and the noise as well - this is helped by having 2 double glazed doors at each end of my entrance corridor that acts almost like an airlock and helps to stop stray noise escaping. The room has to be capable of use to relax in as well as watch movies so I've decided not to make it look like a mausoleum - for ultimate picture I would have a dark ceiling and walls, but that's a compromise I don't want to make.
    Cables are all concealed in the floor, walls or suspended ceiling as I didn't want to create the appearance of a hi-fi shop - 2 speaker cables is all that you see with the naked eye.
    Finally, I splashed out on some nice Stressless chairs to top it all off as well as a bar, some original posters and a few collectibles ('bad' Gollum, Minas Morgul statues, Imagine gold disc, etc). Very heavy curtains cover the windows on each side of the room and help control high frequency reflections as well as keep out 90% of the light on a bright sunny day (aren't I glad we don't get too many of those!) now that I've fittted pelmets and filled in any gaps to the walls where light can get through.
    I like to listen at pretty realistic levels and sound is awesome and effortless. Positioning and spacial sound is wonderful with the speakers well integrated, so good in fact that once you're used to it you hardly notice the system's there - subtle and never 'in your face'. I think the TMREQ helps a lot in this respect and because there weren't any compromises in terms of roomshape, speaker and furniture positioning, etc, I think my 'room' rates pretty highly in terms of its own contribution to the sound.
    CDs sound sublime in PLIIX. I've given up listening in stereo or stereo+sub ages ago as the PL implementation on the AV32R is just so good there really is no turning back. As a one-time purist and hi-fi snob, I never thought I would say that, but maybe my tastes have changed. To me just about every CD sounds better in multi channel this way and with some the difference is startling; even on discs I thought had good spacial qualities before (Tubular Bells II, for example).
    Suffice to say, commissioning of my room will have taken place 5 years ago in July and there aren't many things I would change though there are some, better positioning of the Futronix being one of them. I designed, helped build and did most of the finishing of the room myself and while it was a question of long hours at the time, I never minded getting stuck in (usually late at night/early in the morning) especially when the plasterer was turning up the next day and I had to have something else done in advance!
    If/when I can be bothered to set aside funds to replace the projector I probably will do, but I'm on my 3rd lamp and though I know things have moved on significantly since I bought it, the picture still looks every bit as good as it did when it was first installed (much better actually since I did the SMART calibration a few years ago) and new speakers are probably called for as the current ones are outclassed by the rest of the audio equipment. Unfortunately, I had a demo of some Nautilus stuff and that's probably the only way I'll be going, so that will probably have to wait for a while also because of cost, but to be honest I don't care. I'm still enjoying what I have!

Attached Files:

2. wawr

wawr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    WOW !!!! that's a fantastic cinema room.isnt our hobby just the best in the world when we can have such a gorgeous room like that....all your hard work putting it all together really pay's off.... great !!!!!!

3. loftfuton

loftfuton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It looks really spacious, well done!!. Agree about the cables - I think the whole installation is more professional looking if you can't see the workings. I've been thinking about the Smart thing for my VW10 - you would recommend it then ?? Have you re-done it as your bulb aged ??

4. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would recommend SMART without hesitation.Avia alone is good but limiting in the end.Without prior experience, I found SMART easy to do; it does take a long time (you only need to do it once).To describe the difference it makes, it's exactly like the SMART people would say.Even my wife noticed!Pictures are very colourful without ever feeling like they're saturated-the beginning 5 min of Finding Nemo is a truly amazing sight!

5. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I haven't bothered re-doing it as the lamp ages - I'm not sure the payoff would be as significant as when it was first done and it is a bit of a moving target. I'm spending my time watching films instead!

6. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Nice one mate, TMREQ is awsome isnt it! Nice to see another happy Tag owner.

7. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I know some guys feel let down by Tag, but as far as I'm concerned they did a great job while they were there and it's a crying shame their business model failed - sure beat the hell out of the built in obsoloscence that otherwise goes on. I was lucky to get all my upgrades done before things went pear shaped and TMREQ is the icing on the cake. Can't recommend it enough - it was equiv to an expensive speaker upgrade IMO