1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 year warranty - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by griffo, Jul 29, 2005.

1. griffo

griffo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to buy a toshiba 32wl56, and have found a best price on the internet of £840, with a 1yr warranty at buyyourav. John Lewis will pricematch Sevenoaks at 999, which basically works out at 160 quid for a 5 year warranty.
    Does anyone reckon this is/isn't worth it? My old Sony crt has worked for years with no probs, and I'm usually wary of "extended warranties"...
    I'd appreciate any advice/previous experience of reliability with LCDs.
    Thanks,
    Dan

2. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the LCD is OK when you buy it (re: dead pixels), then unless you forcibly break it, the only things 'likely' to go wrong are the backlight and the power supply.

Of course, you could always be unlucky and have one of those things die just after the warranty runs out.

It's not a huge gamble, but you should always just think about how much you would likely be prepared to shell out in 1, 2, etc. years time if necessary, and what you might be able to get for that...

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I must admit I wouldn't go aut of my way to buy an extended warranty but for the extra piece of mind that the £160 will give you plus the renowned customer aftercare you can get from John Lewis I don't think you can go wrong.