5 Year warranty changed from D&G to Pioneer

Lucas Buck

Standard Member
Hi all,
I bought an LX5090 online through a well respected Pioneer retailer. At the time, the offer was that you got a 5 year D&G waaranty if bought online or 5 year Pioneer warranty if you had an instore demo.

Recently i got the Pioneer warranty silver envelope instead of the D&G warranty and am a bit confused about this.

I understand that there is hardly any difference between the two, with some saying that the D&G may be slightly better, especially if the worst happens and Pioneer go into administration.

As this at the back of my mind, I phoned up the retailer and asked them why I received the Pioneer one. The reply was that they were trying to make sure that as many customers as possible got the Pioneer one. When I then asked what would happen if say some time down the road Pioneer went under, the reply was that they (the retailer) would then transfer it to the D&G warranty so I would still be covered.

Can they do this, as I'm not convinced about this?

Also, when I mentioned that I bought my TV more than 30 days ago and according to the t&c's this is the limit to apply within, as well as before 31/01/2009, the reply was that they got the warranty cards late and there would not be any problem.

Anyone have any thoughts on this - should I push for the D&G warranty?

XasharK

Im in the same boat as you I rang this morning and got a similar response so ive registered the pioneer warranty online today and sent the silver card off 1st class recorded, I bought my tv on 12/12/08 so well after 30 days.

Hopefully they will be honoured as apparently they had no warranty cards to give out until recently and so its not our fault!.

Sabotaj

Hi there,

I just been on the phone to TLC. I asked if I could have a pioneer warranty instead of the D&G one and it was perfectly fine. Even though I placed my order over the internet, Thumbs up to them. :)

Anyway, I was assured that my warranty card would be valid way after the end of the month. so unsure were people are getting the idea of the cards expiring (little confused). I know alot of warranty cards have to be sent off within 30 days of purchase. TLC have said that they only got the Pioneer warranty cards in stock 2 days ago.

Last edited:

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Sorry to go slightly off topic here but I would like to ask Pioneer owners who have either the Pioneer or D&G 5 year warranty, if it is transferable to a new owner if one ever sells the set?

Regards,

Suave!

stranger

Hi,

Sorry to go slightly off topic here but I would like to ask Pioneer owners who have either the Pioneer or D&G 5 year warranty, if it is transferable to a new owner if one ever sells the set?

Regards,

Suave!

I have the D&G and it's definitely transferable:)

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Any more news on this? I have been sent the pioneer warranty even though I was supposed to be getting the D&G one. Not sure whether to make a fuss or not, as I know the D&G ones are transferable, but don't think the Pioneer ones are.

Ollie20964

I purchased mine online with TLC and was expecting the D&G warranty. I received the Pioneer one through the post the other day however.

I preferred the D&G one (New for Old etc) so phoned TLC and they said they would send off the paperwork so I can have a D&G one.

There's probably not much difference between the two but I have had D&G one's in the past and they have been very good when making a claim.

At the end of the day, if you've paid for the tv with a D&G warranty you have a right to the D&G one over the Pioneer warranty if you wish.

bobbymax

Spoke to Tony at TLC and he gave me the choice when a Pioneer card was sent, and I too expected the D&G one.

The decider for me was explained that one main advantage with the Pio warranty is that you will always get a registered Pioneer engineer, which generally enables a faster repair.

So I went with the Pio. :thumbsup:

Syphonic

Bear in mind that IIRC it costs TLC nothing to give the Pio one since it's maintained by Pio, but TLC have to pay out of their own pocket to give you the D&G one.

bobbymax

Bear in mind that IIRC it costs TLC nothing to give the Pio one since it's maintained by Pio, but TLC have to pay out of their own pocket to give you the D&G one.

Good point!

Lucas Buck

Standard Member
Thanks for the feedback guys. However, I'm still not sure which one to go for. Does anyone know the details of each type of warranty so that they can list the pros and cons of each to help me and others make an informed decision as to which one to go for.

From what I gather, with the D&G you get the following advantages: new for old, transferable and I'm kind of guessing that D&G are more 'credit crunch resistent' than Pioneer so will be around for the whole 5 years of the warranty.

With the Pioneer warranty, the only benefit seems to be that the repair guys will be registered Pioneer repair people.

Ollie20964

Thanks for the feedback guys. However, I'm still not sure which one to go for. Does anyone know the details of each type of warranty so that they can list the pros and cons of each to help me and others make an informed decision as to which one to go for.

From what I gather, with the D&G you get the following advantages: new for old, transferable and I'm kind of guessing that D&G are more 'credit crunch resistent' than Pioneer so will be around for the whole 5 years of the warranty.

With the Pioneer warranty, the only benefit seems to be that the repair guys will be registered Pioneer repair people.

Hello, here is the link the the thread that discussed the pro's and cons...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-televisions/914442-pioneer-warranty-v-d-g.html

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I wasn't sure which one to go for in the end, so I went with the D&G one after reading a bit more into it. The main issue with Pioneer is that you can't transfer it on if you sell the TV.

riche21

I wasn't sure which one to go for in the end, so I went with the D&G one after reading a bit more into it. The main issue with Pioneer is that you can't transfer it on if you sell the TV.

just spoke to TLC about this and they say the Pioneer warranty is transferable.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
just spoke to TLC about this and they say the Pioneer warranty is transferable.

That isn't what they told me.

With Pioneer closing down production of HDTV's, I think the D&G is more advisable. Just hope mine turns up soon.

Laserdiscguy

Standard Member
Nothing to with Pioneer but does about warranty.
We purchased a new washing machine a few months before Christmas with warranty from the maker. It packed in and so did the maker like many others. Net result, no warranty and no washer. In my experience a warranty is better from someone else other than the maker and at least a policy will be underwritten.

Just a thought.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom