5 year warranties, are they really worth it?

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Just been browsing through the TV section and the amount of people saying they have to have a 5 year warranty is quite big.

But it got me thinking do people really keep their TV's nowadays for 5 years? the trend seems to be more like keeping it for 2 or 3 years then updating when the new tech comes along.

5 years is a long time in TV technology. I know warranties are transferrable but do you guys really look for such long warranties when the likely hood is that you will update your TV in a 2 or 3 years?

Dancook

Distinguished Member
I buy as decent a TV as I can afford with the intention of keeping it a while.

It would have to be a significant leap in technology for me to consider buying a new TV early, 3D is not that leap.

My current TV is just over 2 years old. I imagine I'll have it for the next 3 years.

Oh as for the 5 year warranty, I personally don't bother.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Growing up the Toshiba 37" CRT monster dominated my living room for the best part of a decade before we upgraded to LCD. The size does not sound much but in CRT, yes I was bloody huge :D The previous Philips LCD was only replaced by the current Sony because it broke 7 years in
Also they made us sign a form saying we had a TV license?
why?
thought we did not need to have one to buy a tv?
Because he is under a legal obligation and has been for quite a long time. Nothing to worry about....

Last edited:

IAN P

Distinguished Member
My folks are still using my old 32" Toshiba which I purchased in 1993.

I'm still using a Philips 32" widescreen which I've had since 1997/98.

Projector for films, TV for everyday use.

No need to upgrade every 3 years. Unless you buy crap in the first place.:D

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Also they made us sign a form saying we had a TV license?
why?
thought we did not need to have one to buy a tv?

I know Argos make you do that too, Comet do the same but ask for your address then they send you a form to fill out to apply for one.

Dave

Distinguished Member
I've had my Panny plasma for over 5 years and am very reluctant to change it unless it breaks.

Dancook

Distinguished Member
why not if it does not cost any more?

It's often built into the price. no?

I shan't argue Cosco probably are very competitive, but I don't have that option.

I'll hunt around online for the cheapest deal, if it's considerably cheaper than the likes of John Lewis or companies who offer 5 year warranty. Then I'll get it cheaper.

Deadringers

Distinguished Member
I know Argos make you do that too, Comet do the same but ask for your address then they send you a form to fill out to apply for one.

Growing up the Toshiba 37" CRT monster dominated my living room for the best part of a decade before we upgraded to LCD. The size does not sound much but in CRT, yes I was bloody huge :D The previous Philips LCD was only replaced by the current Sony because it broke 7 years in

Because he is under a legal obligation and has been for quite a long time. Nothing to worry about....

correct me if i am wrong here guys but I was under the impression that you only need a license to watch live broadcasts?

if you are just watching DVDs etc then you do not need one?

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
In my wife's old bedroom in her Dad's house, her 14" portable is still working, goes a bit green on start up but clear in a few minutes. It was given to her second hand for a birthday about 17 years ago!

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Even if I upgraded, the chances are that my current unit would be rotated to another room. As such, I will generally seek out a lengthy warranty.

Steven

Senior Moderator
correct me if i am wrong here guys but I was under the impression that you only need a license to watch live broadcasts?

if you are just watching DVDs etc then you do not need one?
That's completely separate from the legal obligations on the retailer and the onus is on you to inform TV Licensing as to why you are exempt. And dare I say it, the proportion of people who buy a telly and intend to watch some kind of broadcast programming vastly outnumber those buying one proclaiming they will never have a tuner set. So yes, the system is logical. Whether you like the license fee is irrelevant. It is a legal requirement and if they did not have the system set-up to be pro-active, then it would only cost more money in administration

nheather

Distinguished Member
But it got me thinking do people really keep their TV's nowadays for 5 years?

Yes, I do. BUT ....

I do spend a lot of money on TVs - both my current plasmas were £2K or more - so I don't consider them disposable.

Washing machines and dryers, different matter though. I have tried cheap ones and expensive ones and in my experience, I have found little difference in how they do the job or how long they last.

So since the cost of repair is in the ball-park of the cost of a new cheap brand\model I often replace rather than repair. I should add that I always investigate whether I can repair myself first but if I decide that it would ned an engineer visit I just buy a new one.

Cheers,

Nigel

Dancook

Distinguished Member
My TV will probably fall off the wall before it fails.

And thus void any potential warranty:)

Deadringers

Distinguished Member
That's completely separate from the legal obligations on the retailer and the onus is on you to inform TV Licensing as to why you are exempt. And dare I say it, the proportion of people who buy a telly and intend to watch some kind of broadcast programming vastly outnumber those buying one proclaiming they will never have a tuner set. So yes, the system is logical. Whether you like the license fee is irrelevant. It is a legal requirement and if they did not have the system set-up to be pro-active, then it would only cost more money in administration

Oh right so you are saying that the retailer has to make sure that you have a TV license? and if not why not?

dazza74

Distinguished Member
Just been browsing through the TV section and the amount of people saying they have to have a 5 year warranty is quite big.

But it got me thinking do people really keep their TV's nowadays for 5 years? the trend seems to be more like keeping it for 2 or 3 years then updating when the new tech comes along.

5 years is a long time in TV technology. I know warranties are transferrable but do you guys really look for such long warranties when the likely hood is that you will update your TV in a 2 or 3 years?

I bought my 50" plasma nearly 4 years ago, I honestly see no real reason to upgrade. I doubt the living room can support a much bigger telly, hardly watch any 1080p content so 1080i is fine, not interested in subscribing to Sky World so 3D's a bit of non starter. If they can't convince an AV enthusiast like me to upgrade, what hope do they have with your average Joe.

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Seems like they are worth it then, I personally dont bother with 5 year warranties, I dont like having TV's in my bedroom so if I get rid of the one in the lounge and replace it I'll give the old one to a family member or if its worth anything try sell it.

EG: I bought my first TV 4 years ago, a 37" LCD, sold that a year and a half later for a 50" 720p Plasma, now I just gave that one to my folks for a 1080p 3D Plasma. I'll probably keep this one for at least 3 or 4 years before updating again.

m8internet

For a TV, I tend to expect them to last between 3 and 5 years
Equally, I always pay by Credit Card

In the first 6 months any fault has to be repaired by the manufacturer or a replacement issued
From then for the next 5 years (6 years in the rest of Britain) it is up to the customer to prove it has developed a fault that was not present previously
I have had this issue before, the manufacturer denied a fault and sent a bill for the transport and inspection costs, returning the TV still with the fault, having to pay the bill under protest and taking the matter to small claims court
I was without the TV for three years, eventually having the manufacturer settle out of court

For that reason I always take the 5 year warranty and incorporate that into the cost
There is then no possibility of an issue, in the event of a fault or failure

Steven

Senior Moderator
Oh right so you are saying that the retailer has to make sure that you have a TV license? and if not why not?
He only took your details to inform TV Licensing. The retailer takes no further action beyond that; it would be TV Licensing who look on their computer to see if you already paid your £145.50 or not. I'd have thought you would have realised this from your buying experience. Hence the context of my post

Berties

Banned
Mine came with 5 year warranty at no extra cost. It wasn't bumped up 500 quid and with FREE 5 year warranty sticker on it.

DJT75

Distinguished Member
There was a bit of a heated debate here, which eventually got closed, but basically covered the same question: http://www.avforums.com/forums/tvs/1334130-5-years.html

Not sure too many people actually pay significantly more or anything more for a 5 year warrantly, so if it's an option you take it.

I'm still on my 37" SD Panasonic plasma, does everything I need it too. HD is a slight pull although not enough to splash the cash whilst Sky still charge additional for it (Sports-wise). I'll never go down the 3D route, IMO it's a gimmick, & a bad one at that. Can't think of anything worse than wearing those things to watch TV.

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
why not if it does not cost any more?

Exactly. I don't pay extra, but I prefer to buy from HoF or JL as they include it. I never buy on release so don't get hit by 'new tech' prices.

I've got a 42" PH9 panel and wouldn't change it for anything at the moment. The next leap for me will probably be 3D, but not for at least another year, maybe even 2, but then only when you don't have to wear glasses for it.

That means I would have had my current TV for at least 5 years. I think if you buy decent first time round (ie there is a difference between a 42" PH9 and a 42" Logik or Technika for probably 1/4 the price), then they should last you.

Do you replace your car every couple of years just because they intoduce new tech, like built-in sat-nav, automatic breaking etc?

Veni Vidi Vici

I don't know many people who upgrade their TV every 2-3 years. Unless you have a lot of money or are really into having the latest tech then most people aren't too bothered about changing that often. I paid around £1000 for my TV from John Lewis so I got a 5 year warranty. Like all warranties they are only worth their money if you need to use them, if the TV never breaks then it was a waste of time. Personally if I am spending a lot of money then the warranty is worth it. If its a cheap TV then it wouldn't concern me so much.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware