5 year old boy shoots 2 year old girl in the USA

TONYELISE

TONYELISE

And i bet the gun laws still dont get changed,wonder if those who have the power to change them would feel the same way if it was their kids killed in that school shooting a few weeks back.

hufartd

If the 2 year old was armed she would have been able to protect herself.
Or so the NRA would have us believe.

baldrick

Guns don't kill people, 5 year olds do!

baldrick

TONYELISE said:
don't forget a .22 is also 5.56 mm the same calibre as a m16,m4 etc.

Whilst that is technically correct the actual ammunition is very different. .22 tends to be a round headed bullet in case that's only slightly larger than the round itself. A 5.56 on the other hand is an high velocity pointed round with a casing significantly larger than the bullet.

There's not many soldiers who would want to go to war with. .22!

Marvin the Android

All very interesting but weren't the rifles in WWI .22? They were lethal then and are lethal now as this tragedy proves. Just because a soldier today wouldn't want to use one doesn't mean that it should be relegated to a child's toy.

Cheers,

Tony.

baldrick

Anthony-Howard said:
All very interesting but weren't the rifles in WWI .22? They were lethal then and are lethal now as this tragedy proves. Just because a soldier today wouldn't want to use one doesn't mean that it should be relegated to a child's toy.

Cheers,

Tony.

Britain used the .303 as their stock round. Admittedly it is confusing when the differences are measured in millimeters or even fractions of millimeters but to give context a .22 round can exert between 100 and 200 ft/lb of pressure whilst a 5.56 is more than 6 times that at 1300 ft/lb.

The WW2 .303 and German 7.92mm were running at 2500 and 3000 ft/lb respectively.

By comparison the infamous '50 cal' goes up to 20,000 ft/lb

Remember that's per sq ft so concentrate that force to the point of a bullet and you can see why they do so much damage even at the .22 level!

Marvin the Android

Like I said. The information you are giving is very interesting but I am not sure what point you are trying to make.

Even at a lowly 100-200 ft/lb it can't seriously be a good idea to give a .22 to a child.

Cheers,

Tony.

baldrick

Anthony-Howard said:
Like I said. The information you are giving is very interesting but I am not sure what point you are trying to make.

Even at a lowly 100-200 ft/lb it can't seriously be a good idea to give a .22 to a child.

Cheers,

Tony.

My point is .22 and 5.56 are very different things and shouldn't be confused.

The issue here isn't that the child had a gun, be it his or someone else's, it's that the gun wasn't secured and and left loaded!

My view on guns is simple, own as many as you like but if one of yours is used to commit a crime you will stand trial as an accomplice. Even if the weapons were stolen you'd need to prove you'd done everything in your power to safeguard them and that you'd alerted the police etc...

Marvin the Android

What has the difference between a .22 and 5.56 got to do with this accidental shooting. I get there is a difference but not sure why it is relevant here.

You wouldn't need to worry about securing guns and making sure that they were not loaded if you didn't have one in the first place.

Cheers,

Tony.

baldrick

Anthony-Howard said:
What has the difference between a .22 and 5.56 got to do with this accidental shooting. I get there is a difference but not sure why it is relevant here.

You wouldn't need to worry about securing guns and making sure that they were not loaded if you didn't have one in the first place.

Cheers,

Tony.

The OP inferred that .22 and 5.56 are the same thing.

Nobody would drown in swimming pools if people didn't have them, people wouldn't get burnt if we didn't have hot things!

I can understand why people want to own guns for self defense or hunting or sport but there should be much stricter laws governing their ownership.

Marvin the Android

Such a facetious argument. Swimming pools were not designed to drown people, hot things were not designed to burn people. Tell me guns were not designed to kill people......

Cheers,

Tony.

kav

Distinguished Member
How sad. The thought of my child even touching a gun, let alone being given one as a gift, is so alien to me that I can hardly comprehend this story.

The OP inferred that .22 and 5.56 are the same thing.

Nobody would drown in swimming pools if people didn't have them, people wouldn't get burnt if we didn't have hot things!

I can understand why people want to own guns for self defense or hunting or sport but there should be much stricter laws governing their ownership.

Swimming pools and hot things aren't designed with the specific purpose to kill, so hardly a fair comparison.

IronGiant

Such a facetious argument. Swimming pools were not designed to drown people, hot things were not designed to burn people. Tell me guns were not designed to kill people......

Cheers,

Tony.

Guns were designed to shoot bullets, whether that be at targets, supper, vermin, or your little sister.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
I'm around guns all the time and I know how to use a few but never used one in anger.

I wouldn't have a gun in the house. I have some combat knives including a Kukri ( which I most often used to trim the christmas tree's stump to fit the holder) under lock and key and haven't taken them out in years.

I disregarded getting a straight razor for shaving for the same reason.

I have one American friend who has a 9mm in the house and he is an FBI agent and it goes straight into a safe. He doesn't even clean it with his kids in the house.

Normal people do not need guns.

rousetafarian

My in-laws have always had 4 guns in their house locked away in a gun safe, growing up in the house as a kid my now wife never even realised her parents had them in their possession....

It's a property on an acre of land someway of the beaten track and they strongly believe in being able to defend themselves if they are unfortunate to meet a burglar who is on their property and more than likely armed.

It's a defence mechanism in their eyes, nothing more.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
What a shattering, heartbreaking, pointless and stupid waste of a precious young life. In any country with sane firearms legislation, the father would be jailed.

This- much more so than the premeditated Sandy Hook shootings- illustrates the need for gun law change in the US.

IronGiant

I disregarded getting a straight razor for shaving for the same reason.

:eek:

I have one in the kitchen drawer for slashing baguettes when they go in the oven. I have several knives far more dangerous than a ooh scary "combat" knife stuck to a magnetic knife rack in the kitchen. Are you serious?

Last edited:

Marvin the Android

Guns were designed to shoot bullets, whether that be at targets, supper, vermin, or your little sister.

I concede the point on supper and vermin although there are other methods and I refute that supper and vermin were the primary drivers.

I don't accept that guns were designed to shoot bullets. Granted they do but I doubt there was a room full of people standing next to a pile of bullets all wondering what they can do with them......

Cheers,

Tony.

IronGiant

Granted they do but I doubt there was a room full of people standing next to a pile of bullets all wondering what they can do with them......

Cheers,

Tony.

Me neither... :D but you knew that ;) and you don't need to refute something I never said :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio