5 year (lamp inluded) warranty - £160

ManGina

Established Member
Reaction score
www.warrantyex.co.uk now seem to be offering a 5 year (1+4) warranty for just £160 !! :eek:
I'm sure when I checked this site out 2 weeks ago it was £280... :confused:

Am I doing something wrong here? The warranty is definately underwritten by Domestic and General and I have an email off them stating that lamps are covered.

At this price you would be crazy not too surely. I will definately be getting this just as soon as my 52" Tosh gets delivered.......soon :lease:

Any one want a copy of the email- just PM me your address :thumbsup:

Sounds interesting but just how reliable are these guys at coffin up when the bulb on my SAMSUNG SP50L7HX 50” DLP TV goes over the next year or two? Surely it isn’t going to be in their interest to foot the bill of a £3-400 bulb which is something that they are inevitably going to have to do if there warranty does in fact cover this vital and very expensive part. Had my fill of insurance policies that don’t pay out when they are in fact called upon for assistance (always on the ball taking direct debit from your account though).

Has anyone had any experiences with this company and if so can they be trusted to honour such a policy?

Salty
Your point is valid, however how often are you going to look a gift horse in the mouth?
I have no idea how long these lamps will last and have had no dealings with warrantyex but Dom and Gen seem reputable and their reply is worded below.
I agree that there are sometimes (always) unforseen problems but given the uncertanties of life generally - what I have in writing is good enough for me :p
Put it another way - I would rather pay £160 and feel safe (even if I have to wrangle at some later point) as opposed to save £160 and know if anything goes wrong after 12 months.... :suicide:
You pays your money and takes your choice. I will be getting this :thumbsup:

To: ************************
Subject: Re: Web General Enquiry - LAMP WARRANTY
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:36:21 +0000

Dear Jason

Thank you for your e-mail.

As already advised by our customer service advisors, this would be covered
as it is inside the appliance. One area were bulbs would not be covered for
example would be in a fridge or oven as these are accessible.

If you have any further questions then please contact us again by e-mail,
or alternatively call us on 0870 6075566 (24hrs).

Kind regards,

The WebSupport Team
Domestic & General
www.domgen.com

Did you select Widescreen Television instead of Rear Projection TV on the warrentyex website?

Rear Projection price for 5 year warrenty is £281.16.

Widescreen TV price for 5 year warrenty is £160.16.

If you have selected the latter, and you have a claim, you might not be covered. You know what insurance companies are like. If I were you i'd double check again and make sure that you are covered for the £160 price. Better to be safe than sorry.

Also, bulbs in DLP's are just as accessible as in a fridge or oven. It is a user-replacable part in many DLP's (except for the sony's I believe) and as such would probably not be covered in a warranty. To be honest, I would not believe it unless the policy document *clearly* states that bulbs for DLP's are covered. An email from the salesguy does not carry any weight - the only thing binding is the policy.

After market warranties are a huge scam - check out what Which? have to say about them. Personally, I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is. No reputable insurance firm (is there such a thing?) will sell a policy at a cost *lower* then the guaranteed payout the would have to make over the life of the policy.

Buyer beware.....

Snark you are right. I have made a mistake 2nd time around which explains the price difference I pointed out - thanks.
Mdekkers I think you are wrong. This was not a sales guy I spoke to, but customer service and also web support in relation to a specific query about a DLP lamp, which as you can see is covered as it is located inside the case(for want of a better word) and not merely inside the appliance and accesed via a door ala fridge or oven.
I stand by my earlier comments and rate it as good value even at £281 - if you don't believe me call them yourselves or go elsewhere as I'm sure you will without any prompts from me. :rolleyes:

ManGina

It would seem another poster has checked up with D&G and has confirmation that the lamp is covered here

Cheers Phil. I'm confident the lamp is covered and even at £281 it's a good price for that piece of mind.
Cant wait for mine to come now...

:rtfm: -- or rather, RTFTs&Cs

Sorry ManGina, but I just don't agree - I have downloaded the Ts&Cs from the domgen site http://www.domgen.com/pdf/tc_quot_in.pdf and section 2.) clause "o" clearly states:

"The cost of replacing any item or accessory that is intended to be replaceable. These include: fuses, batteries, light bulbs, fluorescent tubes and related starters, filters, attachments, cables, plugs, light covers or rain covers."

Please note that "These include" does not mean "This is an exclusive list". It is lawyerese for "this is a sample of the things we will not cover. *Anything* that can reasonably be expetected to be replaceble is not covered". Those are the conditions of your warranty, and they are *your only recourse* should you have issues. An email from the websupport team simply isn't going to cut the cookies when you come to fight and defend your claim.

in the case of my Tosh, the manual clearly states that the bulb is a replaceble item - See the "Important Notes Section" right up front of everything else:

Projection lamp: The light source in this television is a projection lamp unit which has a limited service life. The lamp has reached the end of its service life when a reduction in colour and/or brightness is noticed or if the lamp ruptures and the screen goes black, the lamp unit then needs to be replaced. (See the Owner s Manual).
- http://tesc.toshiba.co.uk/Web/ModelLis.nsf/1f82d70b57a6d36d80256a000042a0fb/52d987a46e3b212780256f27003a4fe0/$FILE/WM48%20Important%20Notes.pdf

Or try page 1 of the caution sheet - printed right up front, in your face, in nicely readable, large bold letters:

LAMP UNIT REPLACEMENT
The lamp has a limited service life which depends on the the amount of use and the settings used, so it has been designed for safe replacement by the consumer....
- http://tesc.toshiba.co.uk/Web/ModelLis.nsf/1f82d70b57a6d36d80256a000042a0fb/52d987a46e3b212780256f27003a4fe0/$FILE/WM48%20Caution%20sheet%20(18lang).pdf

It is very clear that the lamp is a user-replacable item, and it is very clearly excluded from your warranty. Unless you get something in writing from domgen on their letterhead, signed by an authorised individual within domgen you will not be covered for the replacement lamp. The 200 quid is better spent on something else. -- like a new lamp....

Good luck, and enjoy your telly

ManGina said:
Snark you are right. I have made a mistake 2nd time around which explains the price difference I pointed out - thanks.
Mdekkers I think you are wrong. This was not a sales guy I spoke to, but customer service and also web support in relation to a specific query about a DLP lamp, which as you can see is covered as it is located inside the case(for want of a better word) and not merely inside the appliance and accesed via a door ala fridge or oven.
I stand by my earlier comments and rate it as good value even at £281 - if you don't believe me call them yourselves or go elsewhere as I'm sure you will without any prompts from me. :rolleyes:

The Toshiba lamp is located inside a door at the side of the screen, very accessible.

Mdekkers
You have certainly gone to great lengths to prove your point and you may well be right - until such time as someone tries to have the lamp replaced under warranty I guess we'll never know and may well have to agree to differ. All I know is these sets are becoming ever more popular and this warranty situation ought to be considered by all buyers.

I have done all I can do,as far as getting the company to clarify the point goes.

I made a specific point in relation to the lamp of a rear projection tv and whether it was covered under warranty if required to be replaced. I made the comparison of words such as lamp and bulb and how the lamp was an essential part for effective operation (unlike a fridge or oven bulb which is not essential and also many, many times cheaper). After all that I was told (and informed in writing, because like you I was suspicious), that the lamp is covered because it is inside the appliance... It may well be behind a door, but that still makes it inside... :(

What else can be done? If the company supplying the warranty says "yes", who am I to say "no - you are wrong"? We are into pantomime territory here...

The bottom line has to be - what do the company say when questioned so specifically? "Do you want it in writing?" they said - well it has been given in writing and short of challenging their right to offer such a flagrant warranty in the courts I fail to see the point in questioning them beyond what has already been done. :D
It may be they realise their "mistake" in the future. I can only comment upon what I heard from the horses mouth here and now - and not upon an interpretation (albeit a sound, common sense one ) of a document which by design, may or may not have been written with possible litigation in mind :zonked:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom