1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 year guarantee necessary?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by richard plumb, Jan 17, 2004.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    Going for the philips 30" LCD, and most likely getting it from JL due to the 5 year warranty. Put in an order but need to wait for them to get stock in around 2 weeks.

But I feel a bit sorry for Lakes, my local stockist, as they were very helpful showing me the set, and they have stock and will sell it for £2049, but the 5 year guarantee from JL seems too attractive to ignore.

Any thoughts?

2. johnelf

johnelf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I would stringly recommend the 5 Year Guarantee option. It is a big investment and these guarantee's dont come cheap. Remember John Lewis wll also price match any cheaper shop and still throw in the guarantee for free as well.
    John

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    There's no real reason why the thing should fail inside 5 years. However, this stuff is still relatively new, so there's little consumer experience out there to back this assertion up.

I would certainly not take up a Dixon$ or Comet (etc) warranty at hugely inflated extra cost. However, JL's warranty costs nothing. On that basis it has to be a good buy - just in case.

Your local retailer has always got the option to offer the same - if he wants to. Give him the opportunity. If he turns you down, it's his loss.

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    he contacted head office, who couldn't offer an extended warranty (I'd have accepted 3 years).

So, I'll stick with JL.