5 speakers without sub For £800

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dr Force, May 3, 2007.

1. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    Hi Guys

The Mrs has agreed that we can go for some floor standers if we want, for the the fronts.

I already have a Diamond Wharfedale150sw sub so I am looking for two floorstanding fronts, centre and two bookshelf type surrounds with stands.

Looking to get the most out of the Sony 3200ES and is for mainly watching movies.

Any recommendations within my budget.

Thanks

2. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    come on laaaads:lease:

3. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    If your willing to stay away from floorstanding speakers I can highly recommend the SVS 5.0 package (AVForum Power Buy) which would give you over £300 change

4. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    I keep hearing so much about the SVS system, are they really that good?

Better than the MA & Kef's of this world?

5. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I have not listened to MA or Kef speakers in years but the SVS does produce a sound way above its price range and more importantly, it makes films enjoyable.

If I had your budget, I would be very tempted to spend a little more and buy the matching subwoofer but even if you buy the 5.0 setup, it is great value for money

6. MIB

MIB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I have the SVS 5.0 and agree that for the money they are excellent.

I went from big Mourdant Short MS50 floorstanders and haven't missed them even for music. I must say that my room is quite small 10' x 9' so can't comment on performance for large rooms.

I have tried them with a Marantz amp / Arcam AVR250 and now have a Denon 3803 and they sound great with the Denon. Not sure if Sony would be compatable?

I have auditioned the MA Silver RS5 and RS1 and they sounded very good with an Arcam 250 but that was in a sevenoaks demo room so not a direct comparison - but I am more than happy with the SVS / Denon combo I went with. SACD via a Denon 2900 is excellent.

For enjoyment per £ they would be hard to beat.

7. Graham27

Graham27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    I'm in a similar situation and I'm looking at the Mordaunt Short 900i series and the Monitor Audio BR range. Both are well worth a demo.

I prefer the sound of the MA, missus prefers the look of the MS. D'oh ! I can sense a stop-off at a shop selling handbags or shoes on the way to the next demo if I'm to swing the MA's :D

8. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    By all acounts the SVS is a "neutral" sound so I beleive they will be fine with most amps.

I guess thats the benefit of having an in built EQ so you can always adjust to taste anyway.

I am sooo edging toward the SVS having spoken to Steve AKA Badger 0-0 who has been very helpful and read many reviews ,which only seem to point to music as an average performer, but I only listen to movies anyway.

The price is also very appealing given the performance and I will get change from my budget to put towards my HD DVD player.

Its a case of he who dares wins, you can go around forever thinking how good things are, what they look like, is it as good as....,but they said etc etc etc.

The chances of something being poor given around a 90% +ve review rate is going to be very low.

9. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    I've not heard the MA's so can't comment.
    But I can say that the SVS are definitely better than the 900 series.
    The treble on the SVS is not so harsh and the midrange is much better, IMO.
    Might be worth putting on your list?

10. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    For purely movie use, I wouldn't bother with floorstanders. In retrospect, I'd rather I'd bought the PMC TB2+ standmounters, but Mrs russ.will doesn't like stands. Quite how she deals with all the other stands in the room, I'll never know. I digress, for movie use, there's not much point in floorstanders as the bass output from them is sent to the sub, so you're just paying for a pretty stand.

They're not available on every street corner, but it's worth searching out the new JM Lab chorus 700 series. A bit different, very neutral, have a tweeter that'll see you through many upgrades, are beautifully made and are very competetively priced. Certainly worthwhile searching out as an alternative to MA, Kef, etc.

The standmount Chorus 705v (£289/pair) were on demo at Bristol and were knocking out sounds way beyond their price point when partnered with an Arcam CD73 and A90 amp. The matching center is a full sized affair at £249 and gives a package just a bit larger than the SVSs and without being unfair to the much cheaper SBS-01s, is a notch up in quality too. It would bring you in £20 over budget though for all five.

I really rated the SBS-01s when I heard them and can assure you that they'll drive a good sized room no problem. They really are superb value for money and I noted no significant problems with music. Perhaps not as transparent as some, but boy can they knock out some volume for a littlun. I note on the SVS website, there's now an upright version of the center speaker for front left & right duties for those who really do like it very loud, or have a larger than average room.

Russell

11. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    No doubt a good shout, Russ on the JMLabs :smashin:

I've never heard them, so can't comment.

But I wonder what you think about LondonDecca's idea of buying the SVS and a SVS sub too.

Have you heard the Wharfedale sub?, I haven't, unfortunately :(

I was just wondering which would be best, moving up to the better speakers and retaining the Wharfedale or going total SVS.
    I've been saying good things about the SVS to Dr Force, of course.
    But if your opinion is that the JMLs and the Wharfedale are a better bet, you'd have to go with that, IMO.

12. Graham27

Graham27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Thanks, I do fancy them personally, and I'd definitely consider them, but I know that the guv'nor would hate them. If they're not Beech effect with sliver bits I'd get a slap for suggesting them :D

13. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    I have to admit the MS are a lot sexier looking so I don't blame her, misguided though she is :D ;)

14. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    I am in a slightly more fortunate position in that the SVS package will eventualy be moved into a dedicated HC room, so the Mrs is happy to have average looking speakers with good sound rather than nice stylistic jobs that will need upgrading again in a years time:nono:

15. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    I didn't really consider it, but that's only because that's not what he asked for advice on.

I've always picked one aspect of my system to uprade as far as I can with the budget available at the time. If he can spend £800 on speakers now, then he should IMHO.

The complete SVS speaker+sub package would give better quality now, but I'm pretty sure this won't be his last uprgade.

I know it's hard to separate the sub from the speakers, as it has such a a large impact on their perceived quality but, by maximising the budget spent on the speakers now, it will future proof him through future uprgades to a greater degree and give even better quality sound in the long run.

I'm not saying the above method is right, it's just the way I've gone about things.:)

Russell

16. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Yes, good points :smashin:
    Food for thought for Dr Force, just when he'd made the decision :rotfl: :smashin:

17. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    This drives me crazy.

I am not an audiophile or a HC expert, I want good sound that is going to give my movie experience a bit extra.

The SVS appear to fit my criteria for movie only sound, neutral in its delivery and not to over bearing in size.

My Thinking is the other way around in that If i can get good speakers that produce good movie sound, use my existing sub, until I move into my HC room where I would say spend upto £700 for a sub to underpin good sats.

I may be wrong but the sub in a sub/sat syatem is the most important aspect.

My HC room will be aprox 3m x5m so not big enough for large floorstanders and If I buy exspensive speakers, am I not going to need an exspensive mp to drive them properly?

Its knowing where to draw the line, being satisfied with what you have rather than forever thinking somethings going to sound better if I................ etc, etc.

Russ has stated in his post that he was most impressed with the SVS and this reflects many opinions and reviews so thats good enough for me.

Steve has first hand day to day experience and recommends them (with balanced opinions) without really indicating that he needs to upgrade to get amore complete sound.

The point is that the hobby can cause us to continually look to better what we have, which is in some cases both unneccerssary and exspensive.

I think I am satisfied with my decision and i am going to stick with it as the performance is way beyond the SVS price point anyway:smashin:

18. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    I'm just trying to stay neutralish :thumbsup:
    And playing you up a bit :D

Buy them mate, I suggest they'll do everything you ask.
    And if you decide you don't want them, I'll give you a good price for them, for the PJ in the bedroom.
    After all, I've got the PB10 doing nowt, ATM :eek:
    Teaming that up with the current bedroom Videologic surround setup would just be taking the mick.

Tell you what, come down mine and do the demo you threatened ;) and you could probably persuade me to give you a loan of the PB10 :eek: :smashin:

19. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    Gentlemen the deal has been done:D

Steve, thanks for the kind offers, the PB10 offer maybe to good to miss.

Looking forward to delivery, hook up and blast off.

20. SteveAS

SteveAS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Dr Force, would you be willing to post your opinions of these svs speakers once you've had them running for a bit? I am seriously tempted to buy the 5.1 package. It will be my first foray into HC so I have nothing to compare against. For my budget of 900 quid I think this will fit the bill nicely. Fortunately, the wife knows a good sounding speaker doesn't necessarily look the part. Unfortunately, she knows when a sub is too large for the living room so the SB12 plus is the small compromise that I'm willing to make (although according to reviews this baby is no mouse when it comes to low end bass).

I have been told that they will partner my pioneer (2016) amp nicely.

I'd love to demo other contenders but I don't want to waste dealers time if I decide not to purchase for whatever reason, plus my nearest dealer says I would have to bring my amp in to the shop as he doesn't do the pioneer brand. This wont be practical.

The regular posters on this forum have invaluble knowledge and experience and I'm happy to put my faith in them.:thumbsup: Now, where's that credit card?:suicide:

21. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    Steve

I would be more than happy to give you my opinions after a few days run in.

The delivery will be either Saturday or early next week so I may not post here until then.

In the meantime the guys at AVsales are vey helpful and the process of purchasing is straight forward so if you do go for it you will find this bit easy via the powerbuy section using the very helpful Alistair.

The reviews on the net are about 90%+ve for movie sound and around 75% for music, having said that the audiophiles are difficult to please when it comes to music.

Some have described them as being way beyond thier price point infact one review stated they would not be out of place against a $1500 system and was very complimentary.

I have always saidif you listen to the people & retailers on this forum you cannot (IMO) go wrong, couple that with other sites +ve reports and I think your onto a winner.

The pioneer ranges I have no experience of, but the general opinion is to make sure you have an amp thats capable of driving them ie 100w per channel.

'll probably start a new thread describing my experience as this one is in danger of going off the planet:D

Best wishes

Dave

22. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    I look forward to your opinions mate :smashin:

I hope you like them (and think you will).

But then, if you don't, you can't blame me, you were offered the demo :D

If you do like them, I'm sure we can sort something out about a loan of the PB10, but it's not for sale. Kinza already has first dibs, if I do decide to sell :)

23. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    I'll have to have a little chat with Kinza:devil:

24. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    I'm not sure if I'm one of the ones who have advised you re the SVS.
    I suspect I might have, but just for info;

The SB12+ is excellent for it's size and price, IMO.

AVSales actually run the 5.1 setup via a Pio (or at least did), so yours should be fine. SVS say a genuine 30W is enough. I say, the more power the better and they do like a bit of grunt. Again, I'd say your amp will be fine :smashin:

If you are trying to compare other makes against the SVS and are serious about it, I'd suggest you're not wasting dealer's time at all.
    But then, you need to demo the SVS too.
    Seeing as you're in Newbury, that's not out of the question and I'd recommend a demo at AVSales, no snottiness out of those guys, I can assure you :thumbsup:

25. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    :D