5 or 6 eggs??

RallyofDiscover

Standard Member
I have just bought a Yamaha 630 Amplifier :D

And have ordered the Kef KHT2005 speajker pack:D :D

Now i am told i must buy an extra 'egg' for 6.1 sound - so will this really make a discernably difference??:confused: when the wife sees the wires this lot needs...:eek:

Anybody tried the extra egg???

phil_evans

Standard Member
Hey Party Animal - I'm sure you've got something to say on this!?

I still haven't got a 6th yet, but am saving for it and thinking of a Velodyne CHT-10 sub too, if I can get a good price for the Kef sub.

Phil

Desticado

Ian,

I originally bought th KEF kht 2005 pack with 5 eggs and bought an extra one after a few months. I cant say it make LOTS of difference but it does make a difference and is definitely worth having. Besides if you've got to cable 5 speakers may as well do 6.

Im not familure with the Yammy (I use a denon 3802, which has become a popular combination with many around here) but the 3802 can handle 7 speakers if so desired. Personally I didnt see the point due to the size of my room (only about 3m wide).

Phil,

I managed to sell my Kef Sub after just a few months and got £130 for it quite quickly so that might help give you an idea on value. I replaced it with a Rel Strata III. Possibly an overkill, maybe, but Im very pleased with it and the improvement over the Kef Sub is immense. The Kef always sounded a bit loose and unresponsive whereas the Rel has slam and finese, along with the ability to drown out a Vogon contstructor fleet if need be :D

petrolhead

Depends on the DVD you watch but I would go for the 6th speaker. Pod race in PM shows this off to good effect

RallyofDiscover

Standard Member
Hi guys,

I followed your advice and bought 6 eggs - now connected and trialled LOTR's brilliant so much better than a box solution. Now I suppose I am going to have to check out a velodyne sub!

Thanks for all the advice

Happy Christmas

Ian

Desticado

Be sure to check out a nice REL too...

knoxy

just a quick one about the KEF kht 2005... has the sub been replaced recently - i read something in this forum a while back (cant find the thread) about it. No difference in how it looks or anything, just tweaked a little for improved bass... any ideas?

glad to hear you're enjoying your new setup Ian!!

S

Silent Fly

Originally posted by knoxy
just a quick one about the KEF kht 2005... has the sub been replaced recently - i read something in this forum a while back (cant find the thread) about it. No difference in how it looks or anything, just tweaked a little for improved bass... any ideas?

glad to hear you're enjoying your new setup Ian!!

Accordingly to Kef:

----
The early MK1 subs had a 150watt amplifier.
The newer "MKII" PSW2000 uses a 250w power amplifier.

MKII subwoofers have a single long port.
MK1 subwoofers used two circular ports.

(...)

All systems [KHT2005] now contain the MKII sub.

The price remains the same.
----

Silent Fly