5 or 6 dead pixels - acceptable?

R

rjs1974

About to order a Sony VPL-HS10 and asked for the retailer's dead pixel policy - they said they would only exchange if it has more than 5 or 6 dead pixels.

Would you guys say this was reasonable, I suggest not?

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
No, it isn't. But it IS quite typical of 'manufacturers' tolerances.

What you need to do here, is buy your PJ from a retailer that carries stock, and will allow you to accept the PJ in the shop before paying for it.

OR: Under the terms of the distance selling regulations, if you buy remotely (eg over the web) you have 7 days after receipt of the goods to cancel the contract and return the goods, and you don't need a reason. This is the law. The reaility, though, is that many e-tailers are awkward and/or slow in dealing with such requests.

gavan

Novice Member
Originally posted by rjs1974
About to order a Sony VPL-HS10 and asked for the retailer's dead pixel policy - they said they would only exchange if it has more than 5 or 6 dead pixels.

Would you guys say this was reasonable, I suggest not?
Only you can decide. I've got a couple of iffy pixels on my HS-1 that I only noticed after a day or two of owning it. They drove me batty for a couple of weeks immediately after but now I just don't even notice them. Others however might find the same faults to be intolerable.

If you can, I'd recommend looking for a dealer that operates a policy of offering a replacement unit if any dead pixels are found. It's hard to find such a person though since defective pixels are still a common fault and manufacturers generally specify a certain tolerance to cover their asses against expensive replacements.

Gav

MAW

Banned
The best way is to inspect it in the shop before paying, thentake away one you are happy with. If the dealer hasn't got one you're happy with, then it can't be the right projector! Some are more prone to pixel trouble than others, and not all pixel trouble is permanent. You can't tell on that one though. Dead pixels are best found on a single colour display, try all black, all white, all red, etc. Check methodically, though very often they jump out at you.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more
Top Bottom