5 new critical updates for XP today

HMHB

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
There are 5 new critical updates for Windows XP today. Although I have my system set to automatically download them, it hadn't done so - I went to the windows update site and did a scan for updates.

Did you see Watchdog last night there is some site that you go to and if you click the wrong button download a little program that sits in the background and dials a premium rate number all the time you have the internet connected. Some people had bills up to £3000.
I hope some of the download will address these problems.

I doubt any of those fixes will help auto-dial out trojans..

adaware and spybot is what they needed.. along with barrnig of premium rate numbers.. and a firewall may of helped (not sure whether outgoing phone connections would be caught by the firewall)

Brother in law had the same issue with one of the amstrad email phones... it would ring out every 10 mins all night checking for emails..so it was a surprise for hime when a got a bill of a few hundred pounds!.

Biggest way to evade the premium rate dialers would be to use broadband/adsl/isdn as they are always on.. no dialup required.

I notice now that blueyonder mentions this program on their homepage :)

Matt

I've heard these patches are causing hanging problems. I'd hold off for a few days in case there is a geniune problem.

Sorry, but if you are thick enough to accept the popup by saying yes to ANY pop up windows, then you deserve to get ripped off.

What Watchdog failed to suggest was that using a pop-up blocker such as the google bar, will reduce your chances of getting one of these by nearly 100%.

Also, if you can get broadband, you should, as it will prevent this type of fraud.

And what if you're a new computer user just getting started.

What do you deserve then?

:nono:

I've downloaded these updates on 2 separate computers and have not experienced any hanging problems (yet!) so am assuming they are OK.

PC I'm using now updated and on overnight as usual, no probs :)

Dave

Originally posted by morphman
fufna, that is a very good point. I guess for now they are screwed.

I think they are just the kind of people these diallers are aimed at.

Until Micro:censored: get their rubbish Os sorted there will always be newbies getting stung

Yeah true, it seems obvious to us experienced PC users but when a box pops up that looks like a system box (i.e minimise,maximise and x buttons with and OK and Cancel button) saying your computer is unprotected press ok to protect, then i've known lots of people (who are new to the internet) press these. They are crafty ways of advertising really and noobs just have to either read up about these things or learn through experience I guess. We have all had to learn ourselves I suppose.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom