1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 days in and noticed lip sync issues. Should i be worried?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rooster, Dec 1, 2004.

1. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had my PW6 up and running for 5 days and was very pleased with it but tonight for the first time i have noticed bad lip sync problems while watching sky + . Well actually it was the wife that pointed it out while watching Coronation Street and it was very pronounced . She said she has noticed it a few times (she has watched more sky than me since Friday). i have since went through a few more channels and noticed it in varying degrees . I have audio from sky through denon avr1905 amp but can't see any way of delaying it. Must be lots of new members with the pw6 now ,anybody else having lip sync issues.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I don't think you'll find it's the TV - more likely to be Sky+ :)

3. geebee

geebee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im getting bad lip sync issues on my Pio 435 and Sky+

I'm not prepared to accept this - if you run the same channels on a CRT there is no problem.

This is a plasma problem and retailers should warn people before they waste thousands on a waste of space.

Sorry for the negative vibes but I am furious

(See seperate post)

Gary

4. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    I don't get lip sync via UHF - but it is blindingly obvious (and annoying) via Sky+.This was exactly the same case with my 41 inch Sony RP set,and I've cancelled it out with the delay function of my amp.However,I will add,that I get slight lip sync via my 868 DVD player - so my guess is that when you view a Sky box through a plasma - the two combined result in lip sync being a real problem.

5. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah must be combination of both as i have never noticed it on a crt but it is not happening with my dvd player and plasma

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Must be a Pio thing then - Sky+ sometimes gets out of sync (seen that on my pj too), but I never see sync problems on DVD's on my Hitachi 5300.

7. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    not or now?

8. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not happening with dvd only with sky but i stress i have watched only a few dvds

9. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have viera/sky(not +)/pany dvdr/Denon 3802 amp
    When I first set up I ran the analogue audio from sky to amp and had very bad lip synch on sky.Never a problem dvd to amp (digital)
    Moved the analogue connection so is now viera to amp.Lip synch gone completely.(viera getting audio via scart from sky)
    I know this won't help those whose screens have no audio out but it will help some.

10. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've got Sky+ connected to a Hitachi 5300 via scart and an Arcam AVR300 via an optical connection and I've only noticed lip sync issues twice - both of those occasions were with recordings of Coronation Street. Apart from that, I've never noticed any problems wither with Sky or DVD.

John

11. Rupertlvp

Rupertlvp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My lip sync peoblems were so bad, I decided to move the my Panasonic TH42 PW7 up to the bedroom JUST to watch DVDs. 1 x DVD player/Surround System + 1 x Plasma Screen and so far 5 films have been unwatchable because of the sync problem. It's not Sky's fault or whatever, it's a basic design flaw of a plasma screen. I am complete sympathy with you and I am as mad as hell that the shop let me spend £1700 without so much as a warning, or an offer of a refund if not satisfied. Come on everyone. This won't do. What are we going to do about it? If you bought a car with dodgy brakes or even a tin of soup which had cardboard in it, there would be a general "product recall". I'm angry too, but what are our consumer rights? Is there a lawyer in the house?

12. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Strange, i haven't noticed any lipsync problems except once when i had a bad signal from my satellite dish and that wasn't the fault of the plasma.....

There is nothing wrong with plasma technology, you might just be unlucky and received a bad screen with lipsync issues.

13. AudioSlim

AudioSlim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I'm just wondering here as I'm about to by a plasma and have just already got myself a JVC Home Cinema setup.
    With SKY at times there is lip sync issues with the sound delayed to the picture, Corrie was particular bad once when I watched it although at other times the sync is unoticable on SKY although still there , becuase If I monitor boith the surroudn sound and have TV volume up I can here the delay the home cinema kit introduces. Sometimes it just a reverb type delay then others it's much more, say 1/4 of second.
    Anyway , wathing DVD's on the home cinema system is fine as you would expect.
    SKY on a CRT without any amp does have lip sync issues , which become more noticiable via the AMP however if I bought a plasma wouldnt they compensate each other out, as the delay the AMP introduces will be roughly matched by the delay the plasma introduces?

Slim

14. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    rupert

you can't just go screaming its a plasma design problem :mad:

myself along with many others have had no problem whatsoever - suggest you check out how you have put your system together

no doubt horny d or one of the other experts will care to comment on the situation :D

15. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246

I have to say ,I'm one of the many others,though perhaps that's because I'm not using sky.Earlier comments about it being a Pio problem are I feel a little unfair.After 1 month of use I'm still delighted with all aspects of my 435 xde,even if I chose to use the analogue tuner (which I don't ) the picture would be watchable,via the digital tuner it's excellent and from a denon 2910 quite amazing.Perhaps I'm not too demanding,(SWMBO keeps telling me I'm a perfectionist), but I would still recommend the Pio to any who are considering spending a few bob,on the understanding they spend a while viewing the various screens first and make their own final decision.

Regards
    Ian

16. JIMMY

JIMMY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i used 2 get lip sync problems on my pw7
    but now us an js rgb 2 vga converter
    no problems now :)