1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 connectors voptical?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Gadjet, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a Yamaha A5 and an hitachi 505, with there being 5 individual sockets for phono plugs to go to my amp with 5 sockets would this be a better than just the one connection with my optical connection that i am using now. my reason i am asking this is the thought of 5 sockets carrying info individually to the optical carrying everything with one connector, will using the 5 phono plugs make each noise from each speaker clearer?<br />cheers for any comments

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Stick with the optical connection, this is sufficient for DD, DTS and PCM (CD-Audio).

Internal decoders of DVD players (which are then using the 5.1 output you describe) are usually of lesser quality than compared to the AV amp/receiver, so it is recommended to use the digital connection (optical or coax).

Only multichannel DVD-A/SACD must be connected via 5.1 as there is no digital transfer allowed due to copyright issues, hence the decoding must be done in the player.<br />And that's what the 5.1 input on your amp is intended for.

3. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cheers Reiner,

Thanks for the advise and help I will stick to my current set up,

Phill