5 channel power amp

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by bjcol, Aug 5, 2002.

1. bjcol

bjcol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me what makes/models are most likely to be available on the second hand market as I'm looking for one. I preferably want to get a one box 5 channel power amp. The only ones I've managed to identify are:

Myryad T-70
    Sony TA-N9000ES

I'm not sure what these go for second hand but I want to about £300! Hope thats not made anyone laugh! Someone told me Rotel do one but I don't know the model. The Myryad would suit me down to the groud as it's 40 Watt per channel which will suit my small living room fine. I think the Sony would be out of my price range and I don't really need all that power. If anyone can suggest other cheaper amps and where I should look to find one I'd be most appreciative.

Cheers

Ben

2. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The cheapest Rotel multi channel power amp is the RB976 which (unusually) has 6 channels, each giving 60 watts - it's a bit over your £300 budget though.

http://www.avland.co.uk/rotel/rb976/

An alternative would be to keep an eye out for a 2nd hand Rotel RB985 MKII THX power amp - very nice amps (I use one myself) - new price was £625 so 2nd hand you may find them as low as £350.

Matt.

3. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    i have seen the sony one that you mentioned in the manchester branch of sevenoaks. can't remember the exact price, was between £200-300 though, might be worth giving them a call?

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The Myryad would suit me down to the groud as it's 40 Watt per channel which will suit my small living room fine.

More power is not always about more volume, but instead better dynamics / increased headroom. Especially the very dynamic sound tracks of movie demand as much power as possible.
    But of course it has to be quality amplification, too.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Marantz MM9000 five channel power amp - it's THX certified, but the power output is anywhere from 140 - 170 watts per channel (depending on whether you go by the American Marantz site, the UK one, or the manual!!!).

It's a decent amp - retail cost is £800, you might be able to get one second hand for half that.

Hope this helps!

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,443
    Rotel make a range of power amps from 2 channel to 6 channel, in a varying price range, check out www.rotel.co.uk