5 channel power amp ideas please

harmeetjohal

Established Member
Reaction score
hi i have just purchased the Audiolab 8000AV and am now looking for a power amp. i know audiolab do the 8000x7. would that be the best route? or can i look at a mix and match?
will be running the B&W 9nt and the 1NT's.
have seen some big power amp in the US, would i be able to use them? like is it only the plug that needs to be changed?

all your ideas are welcome. have about 1k to spend, i dont mind looking second hand market....

:lease:
thanks ppl

You could pickup several two channel poweramps. I use five, 2 channel Audiolab/Tag poweramps (7ch system, front three are biamped)

Parasound A52 can be had for £1250 brand new and at this price I think it would be a hard 5 channel amp to beat.

I am currently looking to buy a 5 channel amp to. I have demo'd allsorts at various price ranges ,I found the arcams to be overpriced for what they are, I compared the FMJ 7 channel power amp to a Meridian G55 ,the Meridian was significantly in every respect but only has 100 watts per channel and didnt quite have the slam I was hoping for. The Primare A30.5 £1700was on par with the Arcam FMJ aswell but only cost half the price .

I really want to get to hear the Parasound A51 and A52 as they seem to represent excellent value for money but trying to get a demo of one is nigh on impossible.

Please note I am not trying to start an anti Arcam war !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have seen some big power amp in the US, would i be able to use them? like is it only the plug that needs to be changed?

No - USA 110/115v, UK 220/240V.

If you could flex the budget a tad, you could look for an NAD 975 (140wpc), it's seven channel, and bi-amp you fronts!

Otherwise for about £900 the NAD 955, is a five channel amp similar to above - but less powerful (100wpc).

Yes - i like NAD :smashin:

how would all of these compare with the audiolab?

If you go down my route, it means a power supply is only shared between 2 channels, lower end multi-channel poweramps have a single power supply for all channels.

Also if you're just listening to 2 channel, then no need to be powering other channels.

If you go down my route, it means a power supply is only shared between 2 channels, lower end multi-channel poweramps have a single power supply for all channels.

Also if you're just listening to 2 channel, then no need to be powering other channels.

yep - completely true ... worth considering! althou' the 'good' multichannel amps do have multiple power-supplies ... sometimes 1 per channel ... or else a very very big psu ... to rule them all ;-)

The NAD Maters series M25 7 channel power amp is supposed to be amazing. Its 160w and retails at £2000 ...

yes indeed it's one of the best for that price ... but that's like twice what this guys budget is!

How about 21 x Krell 750MC's? :rotfl:
7 channel HT system, every speaker is triamped. Bung in a couple of Crown K2's for four Contrabass Servodrives:)

Imagine the heat from that lot.

How about 21 x Krell 750MC's? :rotfl:
7 channel HT system, every speaker is triamped. Bung in a couple of Crown K2's for four Contrabass Servodrives:)

Imagine the heat from that lot.

:suicide:

unless all those amps are Class D ones ... then there's a very good change (or certainty) that you'de trip the circuit breaker - or worse!! :rotfl:

Those Krell's are class A, which means 100% power consumption all the time 16KW.:eek:

ok guys before you shoot me... what do you think of the M1 red rose by mark levinson. its a US amp but have been told i can use it with a transformer... ???? HELP
does that effect sound alot? im new to the game! :cool:

ok guys before you shoot me... what do you think of the M1 red rose by mark levinson. its a US amp but have been told i can use it with a transformer... ???? HELP
does that effect sound alot? im new to the game! :cool:

Have a read about the Dussun D9 amp, it's exactly the same as the Red Rose M1, for about 1/5th of the price and it comes in 240V's.
It's highly recommended by myself and a few other forum members. There's a few threads about it in this part of the forum.

I've no experience with that product - had a quick look at their site now. It's rrp is $5000 - I guess if you get this at a "bargain" price, then it could be worth considering - if you do get a 110v amp, make sure you purchase a hi-current 220 to 100 step down transformer (not a cheapy one).

But, the M1 is an amp, not a power-amp ... i.e. it has the pre-amp built in already! So you'de be paying money for something you don't really need cos' you've for an Audiolab 8000av.

I read now that the M1 (and the D9) have no built it decoders... so if you could set them to a fixed gain, they could be used as power amps.

WOW the Dussun D9 on paper looks amazing... it looks identical to the red rose...
does any one have one? how do they compare to uk amps? and is it really mark levinston level???

WOW the Dussun D9 on paper looks amazing... it looks identical to the red rose...
does any one have one? how do they compare to uk amps? and is it really mark levinston level???

Harmeet....why dont you try doing a search in this very forum for "Dussun"...the d9 appears several times and there are a few quite useful comments,one of which may throw some light on the Red Rose issue.

I read now that the M1 (and the D9) have no built it decoders... so if you could set them to a fixed gain, they could be used as power amps.

The Dussun has pins to link the pre-amp and the power amps up, if you only want to use it as a power amp, just take the pins out, which bypasses the pre-amp.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom