1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5-channel or 2-channel Rotel amp?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by fredrikolsson, Sep 22, 2005.

1. fredrikolsson

fredrikolsson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, this is my first post. I have a Denon 2800mk2, Denon 2802, b&w vm1 speakers (possibly going to change them to System Audio soon). I want to add a power amp to my Denon receiver. In the used market here in Sweden, Rotel 985 (5-channel) and 990bx or similar (2-channel) are about the same price. Which would provide the most noticable improvement in my system? A 985 would drive all speakers, a 990 only the fronts but with much more power (looking at specs alone, the difference in amperes is huge). Would be grateful for advice. I have a good deal on a 985 right now, but I hesitate because I feel a 990 would be better in the future if I want to upgrade the receiver to a Rotel 1056, driving the fronts with the 990 and the rest with the 1056. I think a 1056 and a 985 together would not maximize the investment since I basically pay two times for more or less the same thing?

2. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about getting the 985 if the power output is enough for the speakers and your preferred listening level and plan on a second hand av pre amp 1066 or 1068 rather than the 1056 receiver.

I've gone from a receiver to av pre and power seperates (albeit the 1068 is partnered by a 1095) and been pleased with the upgrade. My next upgrade will be a stereo preamp, rather than stereo power amp, as I think this is most likely to improve music replay.

Andy

3. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    IMHO...

The 985 and the 990 are both good, but for your system I would have though that the 985 would make most difference.

It you are more into stereo then movies and have full range stereo speakers i'd say go for the 990 but the 985 would give a better overall result for movies etc... which seems to be what you are after.