1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 channel on the cheap (RXV350/STRDE497/VSDX514/?)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by clawson, Dec 15, 2004.

1. clawson

clawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've got a motley collection of old equipment at present including an old Sherwood "AV" receiver but while it supports front/rear/centre speakers it has no support for a sub-woofer and it only does the original Dolby Pro-Logic but no sign of Pro-Logic II, DTS, etc.

So I want to upgrade - but this is just an "incidental" upgrade as a "stocking filler" from my wife for Xmas so I'm looking for the cheapest "entry-level" AV receiver I can find that will drive the sub-woofer and other speakers (KEF Coda 4 at front, Pioneer rear surround speakers) that I've already got mainly for DVD playback - not real serious music listening.

It seems to me that the bottom rung of the ladder is at about the £150 mark (though there's a few places doing "last years model" a shade beneath this). Of "current" models it seems the well known brand name choices are:

Yamaha RX-V350
    Sony STRDE497
    Pioneer VSDX514

Of those, rather curiously, it is Currys of all people who have the cheapest- the Yamaha - on their web site at £143.01, the other two are at various places around the £155-£160 mark. (curiouser still is why Currys have this hi-fi separate AV amp in the middle of their "micro hi-fi" category!?!)

Anyway which of these would readers here go for, or is there some alternative around the same price break I should be looking at? If so, where's the best price to get it?

Cliff

2. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    If you look at this Yamaha RX-V350, on sale at £151ish inc delivery, it looks pretty good. Anyway, if you go over to Richer Sounds, they should price beat it by £10, giving you this £200 amp for just over £140!

That's what I'm looking at atm for my sitting room...

3. clawson

clawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, that's the RX-V350 that Currys have for £143 - maybe Richer Sounds (where I got almost everything I own!) will undercut that by £10??

Sorry my message above was confusing cos I referred to "JVC RX-V350" when I meant "Yamaha RX-V350" (been reading too many web sites!!). I've edited it to correct the error now.

Cliff

4. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    lol, that had confused me!

Curry's have it at £143? Instore?

Ah, online, so price plus delivery and not in store :(

5. clawson

clawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly, yes, just online so it includes delivery and, what's more, their web site says "temporarily out of stock" and I guess any price undercut promise relies on the item actually being available anway.

Cliff