5 channel amplification

jmsjabb

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just upgraded and have front. Rear, and center speakers.
I have a pwr amp for the front. One for the rear.
If I get another for the center, is it ok just to use one channel?

I am new to this. Before I had a Yamaha amp to do it for me.
How would I do that?

Split the signal coming from the processer into 2 using a Y-splitter cable, then feed the signal into each channel of the amp.
You would then have 2 runs of speaker cable one for bass and one for tops

And would I then have to connect both outputs to the single input on the center speaker?

What center speaker will you be using? to bi-amp it will need to have 2 sets of connectors on the back

I have a jbl center with one input.
I am in the prosess of upgrade and have a meridian 565.
Front amp with Epos.
Rear amp with Epos.
Canter jbl with no amp.

If your JBL only has one set of inputs then you won't be able to bi-amp it :(
are you going too upgrade your center to an Epos?
It will give you good improvements if your front sound stage is matched :)

When i can afford to , i will upgrade.
Until then, have I any options?

Hi,
Do you mean you're going to run the five speakers from three seperate amps?
It would be helpful to know what you are using as a source, ie a DVD player with DD/DTS decoders built in or is it perhaps a digital decoder/pre-amp? If so it is possible to connect the five analog out-puts of a suitable DVD player to the amps via co-ax leads (plus the .1 directly to an active sub), or if a decoder is used using an optical or co-ax lead from DVD to decoder.
If it's going to be straight from a DVD player to the amps you could be in for a lot of faffing around with the volume controls on the amps, due to the fact you'll have to turn all the amps up the same amount at the same time (unless the DVD player has a volume control that operates on the 5.1 outputs so it can control all three ams together). But seeing that this sort of arrangement is usually found on some high end gear and, no offence, by the sounds of it yours does'nt, otherwise you'ld be using KRELL or BRYSTON pre-power combinations, you may have problems.
Going back though to your original question :- yes it is possible to use another power amp to drive the centre channel, you need to get a Y splitter, connect the single end to DVD then connect to the amp with a stereo phono. Take the positive speaker feed from the left channel of amp, and the negative (or common) from the right and connect to the centre as normal. This way you won't be wasting a channel of amplification.

Get back in touch and we'll see if we can be of any more help.

TTFN

I have a 596 DVD. A 565 processor and am just about to buy amps to run the speakers.
The 565 has pre outs l&r for front & rear.
It then has 1 out for the center and 1 out for the sub.

The only thing I can think of is use a mono block?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom