1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 BNC Mod on Radeon 7200

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Tim Cooper, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Chaps,

Been sorting out my 5 bnc mod for about a week now finally got the BNC cables finished today :D
    I basically thought that there must be a better way to connect good quality coax to my hcpc & my pj but the problem always remains the hd-15 d-sub connector on graphics cards being tooo small,so i set about investigating how to go about modifying my card to accept 5 BNC's.
    Basically you drill five 9.5 mm holes in a thick slot back plane the stiffer the better (ohh err mrs) fit five chassis mount BNC jacks (earth through body type)
    Next strip out the coax cores in a good quality monitor lead i was lucky i was given a lead.
    Next bit was tricky but i managed to obtain a jpeg of the backside of a hd-15 connector showing which pins to connect to (if anyone want,s me to put it on the board let me know)
    Now i would love to take the credit for the solder job but my mate is a electronics bod & he soldered the board for me (thanks Steve :)
    You have to use a fine point soldering iron pref with temp control heat the iron until the solder just melts & do not linger more than is absolutely nessecesary the coax centre core must stripped as close to the board as possible all the RGB earths were taken back to the hd-15 solder points. the horizonta/vertical sync's were connected using an old sound card lead the wires being sheilded & very fine, the earths for these rely on the back plane only.
    The whole shebang is connected to my 808s using a reasonable quality cable & BNC connectors from Maplins. I didn't want to splash out on a dear cable just in case this mod failed.
    I'll report back with regards to picture quality.
    I would like to give an honourable mention to AUDIO LEE from the erm OTHER forum for invaluable help in this mod thanks Lee:D
    I would also like to say that i'm no electronics expert believe me if i can anyone can.
    I think this has been a good confidence booster for me so my next mod's going to be the removal of the RFI filter
    :D
    If anyone needs help pointrers just let me know
    Sorry for the long post
    Tim

Attached Files:

2. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    This

Attached Files:

3. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    & This

Attached Files:

4. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    another

Attached Files:

5. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    & another

Attached Files:

6. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    last 1:D

Attached Files:

7. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Looks excellent. Let us know of any improvements!

8. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Cheers Nut,

I thought this would generate some interest here, but not to be......don't think i'll bother again :-(
    Cheers
    Tim

9. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I was following your efforts too! Did you get any real gain out of it?
    I've been considering hook-ups for plasma and am interested in pc connects - not just vga->vga - to see difs, as dif people have reported varying results from vga or component and rgb feeds.
    The idea of drilling, clipping and/or cutting board components fills most people with dred, you seem to have done a man's work - sexist but what the fudge!
    So, how's it fair???
    Cheers

10. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Encaser,
    The mod is worth it go do it:D
    I'm getting better definition colours seem more vibrant & that's just using a moderately good coax i had to readjust my contrast/brightness controls.
    If you need any pointers/tips send me PM or email
    Now i've got a fault with my PJ got to sort that now:(
    Thanks for the feedback
    Tim

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Good stuff, well done. :)

12. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I can come out of sulk mode now.....:D
    Thanks Nick,
    The mods working fine but now i have a problem with my PJ :(
    Cheers
    Tim

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have been moving house so have been 'out of touch' for a week or two, otherwise I would have commented earlier.

I have always hated HD 15 sockets but have been a huge fan of BNCs. Your simple mod allows cheap, top quality BNC terminated cables to be used with HCPCs without those horrible break out cables. I think this is a way forward. I was always confused why Video card manufacturers didn't do just what you have done as so many quality monitors now come with BNC inputs. Missed a trick in my book.

Hope you get the projector fixed, keep us informed. Again well done and thank for the photos and effort here.

14. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Chaps,
    I have now had my PJ fixed:) so now i can report on the PQ of my setup......unfortunately i also had the old 808s calibrated (cheers Roland) & i also installed Theatertek so i can't tell if the PQ was due to the cal/fix/TT or the mod probably a bit of each.....well the picture is fanbloodytastic can't fault it at all, stuck on all my dvd killer scenes all play beautifully with no stutters the PQ truley outstanding my advice would be,do the mod,get your CRT professionally calibrated,use TT on your HCPC & i tell you, You will NOT regret it.....the only disadvantage is that i've got nothing to tweak now:D :D :D
    Cheers
    Tim:p

15. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Tim
    I have just read your post and looked at the pictures. I'm not quite sure what you have achieved. It seems that instead of having the five BNC cables connected to the card via a HD 15 pin you have connected the cables directly to the board and thus taken the connector out of the of the signal path, but you now have to connect some BNC cables to connectors that you have fixed to the back of the pc. So correct me if I am wrong instead of having a HD 15 pin connector to 5 BNC or phono as I have, you now have a three lots of connectors, two lots on the cables and one lot at the back of the PC. As you will get signal loss each time you have a connector in a signal path I don't see what you have gained. Pleas enlighten me!
    Dave

16. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Dave,
    I do not have any hd-15 connector any where in my cabling now just 5x10 meter bnc cables.
    The reason the mod is carried out is so that you are able to use good quality standard sized co-ax it is nearly impossible to get two standard co-ax cables in a hd-15 connector shell let alone 5.
    The very short run of mini co-ax from the hd-15 solder points to the bnc jack connectors (about 10 inches) will have a minimal effect on the video signal.
    The other advantage of using separate cables is the better shielding = less interference + more copper to conduct = better video signal.
    I think that a standard VGA cable is rated to a max of 2 meters so doing the mod enables you extend your cables with no real signal loss (10 meters in my case).
    So for less than 50 quid (co-ax included) i have taken out one major variable.
    So to clarify; 5 bnc's on the back of my HCPC connected to the 5 bnc's on the back of my PJ using 5x10m co-ax.
    Hope this helped
    Cheers
    Tim

17. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    This card is for sale now :)
    Cheers.
    Tim.