5.2M x 3.6M Room, Big enough for 93" screen?

soulesssuburbia

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys been lurking on here for the last few weeks and I'm about to get my keys to my first house, currently I have a set up in my bedroom and garage and I'm looking to move this across to the front room of my new house.

The Gear I have currently.

Samsung 50Q96 ( not sure on model 720p about 3 years old)<< this needs changing but I'm waiting to see how 3D pans out first
Optoma HD70
Optoma 92" or is it 93" inch pull down screen
Onkyo 604
Media center PC (custom Built)
Sky HD/Virgin V+ (not sure which yet but thats for another thread)
PS3/Blu-Ray player- Not sure which and this is on the shopping list.

So I'm going to be making a floating wall, the tv will be recessed into it and the projector will be hidden behind a valance on the ceiling above, my girlfriend has raised concern that the screen will be too big for the room. Now personally I'd love a 120" screen but I'm struggling with the 92" here just looking for some backup that its all in proportion really.

You may notice that there are no speakers listed above, ATM I have a powered cheapy sub£100 job from richer sounds and some god awful speakers from an old sharp surround sound kit. I was looking orginally at getting the small keff egg shaped speakers the 1000 series is it? well now the room is bigger and so are my ambitions I want to go with something a bit better, my budget is around 500-1000 including the sub and the speakers. For a room of this size what are the best sellers. I'm not looking for a personal recommendation just a nudge towards what the best sellers for the money are around that price range :)

Any help would be appricaited! Thanks in advance.

I have the 92" Electric Optoma screen. My room is 5m x 3m and it fits very nicely in there. Any bigger IMHO would be too big.

I have the 92" Electric Optoma screen. My room is 5m x 3m and it fits very nicely in there. Any bigger IMHO would be too big.

Hi thanks for the response. Could I ask do you have it mounted on the the 3m wall or the 5m wall out of interest. The house I'm moving to has a chimney breast on the 5m wall and it is tiny cost wise it would be cheaper for me to put it on the 3.6m wall as that is a completly blank wall to start off with. My concern then will be the layout of the speakers for the best effect.

Hi thanks for the response. Could I ask do you have it mounted on the the 3m wall or the 5m wall out of interest. The house I'm moving to has a chimney breast on the 5m wall and it is tiny cost wise it would be cheaper for me to put it on the 3.6m wall as that is a completly blank wall to start off with. My concern then will be the layout of the speakers for the best effect.

Should be fine just mount them under the screen angled up slightly :cool:

Any recommendations for the Speakers themselves. Sound quality is the main priority looks are secondary really. Ive seen a lot of people on here with what look like bookshelf style speakers rather than the egg type or home cinema style oblong thin speakers with tiny drivers is this the way forward?

.....my girlfriend has raised concern that the screen will be too big for the room. Now personally I'd love a 120" screen but I'm struggling with the 92" here just looking for some backup that its all in proportion really.

The ideal size isn't a function of the room's size, as much as it is about being appropriate for the distance to the viewing position. Too big and/or close and everything just looks blurred and the pixel structure starts to become obvious. The norm seems to be a screen size that corner to corner (across the diagonal) is about 2/3 of the distance to the viewing position.

Of equal concern is getting the right screen type for your room. If the projector is directly overhead and nobody is going to sit significantly off axis, then a higher gain fabric that reduces light scatter toward the walls and ceiling will help with brightness and contrast and is a big plus if there will be ambient light in the room - ie in summer when it's harder to black the room out in the lighter evenings.

I arrived in my current room with a 92" 1.0 gain screen and changed to an 88" 1.3 gain and missed the extra size for about 2 days, whilst the extra punch of the smaller screen with a more appropriate gain factor is still appreciated 4 years later.

Ask the same question in the projector and screens forums where the [-]picture nerds[/-] videophiles hang out for more specific detail but as ever, big isn't everything.;)

Unless you're talking about speakers and even then it's about being appropriate for the room size. An upgrade does not mean bigger, it means better suited. I've seen as many people with weeny lifestyle speakers (that keep the wife happy) struggling to fill a room, as I have people with over sized 'mans' speakers shoehorned into corners (to keep the wife happy) struggling with overblown bass, harsh midrange and generally rubbish sound.

Generally, whilst if the situation allows I'd avoid tiny lifestyle satellite speakers, you don't have to go huge for a great sound, especially given that a good well set up sub will be handling the bass.

Personally, I've always liked the Quad L-ite package because its beautifully made, has a really good sub and doesn't mind the speakers being placed close to a wall. It's pretty even handed with music and movies too.

If you fancied a bit of a haggling challenge; Buy a BK XLS-200 subwoofer direct from BK Electronics (I'd advise that as a good subwoofer starting point anyway) and partner with two pairs of Tannoy Revolution DC4s and DC4LCR centre speaker. Might be a bit of a push, but the look fantastic and offer midrange dynamics above and beyond their size and price class that adds an extra dimension to movie and music fun.

However, you may not like what I like and with speakers (not so much the sub) it's important to go hear them in person. More than any other component, they have their own distinct sound and that sound is very dependent upon the room they are in. Find a dealer with a demo room of similar size and decor to your own and go listen. You may pay a bit more than buying online, but you wil know that you bought the right speakers and if you can haggle, then don't forget that you'll need speaker cables and stands that may be easier to get discount on as part of a package than the speakers themselves alone.

Russell

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom