Question 5.2.4 Speaker Advice

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by mrtjripley, Feb 5, 2018.

1. mrtjripley

mrtjripley
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

Looking for some advice on speaker configuration/brand mixing. I have purchased a Yamaha DX-V2083 with the view of installing a 5.2.4 Atmos speaker setup (or 5.1.4, but that's a question I'll ask below).

So far, my thoughts are:

Centre speaker: Krix Graphix Mk 2 Graphix Mk2 | Krix
    L & R: Krix Acoustix Mk 2 (book shelf) Acoustix Mk2 | Krix
    Surround L & R: Krix Ecliptix in-wall Ecliptix | Krix
    Atmos front & back: undecided, but definitely in-ceiling.
    Subwoofer: either 2x Krix Seixmix Mk 1 Seismix 1 Mk5 | Krix or 1x Seismix 3 Mk 6 Seismix 3 Mk6 | Krix or x1 Krix Tektonix Tektonix | Krix

My questions are:

1) How important is timbre matching across all speakers within a system? I know the Centre & Left/Right Front speakers are timbre matched (according to the manufacturers), but have no clue how to check the match between the surround L & R and the subwoofer/Atmos speakers.

2) Is it advisable to stick with a single brand for all speakers, or is it safe to mix & match? Only reason I ask is the Krix in-ceiling speakers are quite pricey overall, when I can get a four pack of other brands cheaper. When it comes to in-ceiling speakers which should only be displaying directional sound effects, do I need to drop big $$$?

3) I am undecided on 1 or 2 sub-woofers. Can anyone advise which subwoofer configuration above would give me the best sound?

Any advice anyone can give me would be very much appreciated.

AJ

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    There is no need to match the sub to the other speakers so you can go for any make (something from a dedicated sub manufacturer like SVS for the same cost may be a better option).
    Krix is not a well known make in the UK which is where this forum is based so you may struggle to get a detailed response to your questions here. The US AVS Forums may be a better option for you.
    It is important to have at least the front 3 matching although personally I would prefer all speakers to be the same make etc.
    The benefits of 2 subs will depend on your room. Often 2 are used to even out bass response in a room. If you do not have this issue then 2 subs will not give you much in terms of gains. In a lot of cases I feel one very good sub will be better than 2 OK ones for the same overall cost. Also if not set up correctly then 2 subs can cause as many problems in a room as they correct.