5.2.2 Atmos speakers placed to far?

superjakey92

Standard Member
I'm New to home theatre and recently set up my 5.2.2 system with yamahah tsr 700 receiver and all New Sony tower speakers, center, Sony atmos for front presence, and Sony bookshelf speakers for surround. 1 sony subwoofer 10inch and the other is polk 10 inch. Is it ok for the atmos speakers to be not directly above the front tower speakers? Is it worth it to splice wires to bring them out from ceiling so they're directly above them? In wall wire that came with house is not long enough.. Also when I use the ypao optimizer it sets my front towers and center to large speaker setting, but I have two subwoofers. So I change them manually to small so the subwoofers work. Not sure if that is correct or if something is not configured correctly? I feel like I'm not quite getting a full surround effect. I appreciate any helpful tips. The atmos speakers are about4 to 5 ft from the front towers length wise.5 on left I think 4ft on right . Alsowith the yamahah receiver should I get back presence speakers even though the receiver only picks between front and back per audio source? Or just stick with only with front? I appreciate the help. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20210822_075957.jpg
    20210822_075957.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 101
  • 20210822_075933.jpg
    20210822_075933.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 20210822_075907.jpg
    20210822_075907.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 87

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

Atmos speakers, when mounted high on a front wall, should be inline with the front left and right. In your photograph they are certainly outside of the fronts. It's not that they are in the wrong place it's your front left and right that are far too close together. You should have them as least as far apart as the distance to your seating. You have plenty of space on that wall, use it.

superjakey92

Standard Member
Welcome to the Forum.

Atmos speakers, when mounted high on a front wall, should be inline with the front left and right. In your photograph they are certainly outside of the fronts. It's not that they are in the wrong place it's your front left and right that are far too close together. You should have them as least as far apart as the distance to your seating. You have plenty of space on that wall, use it.
Should I swap my front speakers with where the subwoofers are and place the woofers next to the entertainment stand? Unfortunately can't move my computer desk. Should they be angled to the listening position ? Thank you

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Should I swap my front speakers with where the subwoofers are and place the woofers next to the entertainment stand? Unfortunately can't move my computer desk. Should they be angled to the listening position ? Thank you
Yes, swap them with the sub - you want them a good width apart. Something like 45 to 60 degrees from the listening position. If you can't go that far, because of the desk, so be it.

And yes, point them towards your listening position. How many of you like to watch films together? It'll probably be best if the front left points at the person sitting on the right (or close to them) and the front right points at the person on the left. Then recalibrate the system.

superjakey92

Standard Member
It's just my wife and me that watch. I will set them up as you suggest, with atmos in same spot, and recalibrate layer this afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes.

superjakey92

Standard Member
Yes, swap them with the sub - you want them a good width apart. Something like 45 to 60 degrees from the listening position. If you can't go that far, because of the desk, so be it.

And yes, point them towards your listening position. How many of you like to watch films together? It'll probably be best if the front left points at the person sitting on the right (or close to them) and the front right points at the person on the left. Then recalibrate the system.

I switched them out. Now there about equal distance 10ft from each other and 10ft from listening position. It does sound better. Thank you for the help

Attachments

• 20210823_205504.jpg
    20210823_205504.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 73

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
I switched them out. Now there about equal distance 10ft from each other and 10ft from listening position. It does sound better. Thank you for the help
You're welcome.

Have a read through the Home Cinema Showcase section of the forum for some inspiration for the future :)

gibbsy

Now there about equal distance 10ft from each other and 10ft from listening position. It does sound better.
You'll have to re-run the room correction as well. Should sound even better then.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Speaker position wise, watch this video. Really breaks down everything speaker wise:

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Speaker position wise, watch this video. Really breaks down everything speaker wise:

Cool, I'll watch that. Not sure if it'll have anything that's not it their "Loudspeaker Position Guide" which I've dissected, I'll check. As with most of these things, it's not definitive, but there's good information you can combine with other sources to help determine what's best in your room for your needs.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Cool, I'll watch that. Not sure if it'll have anything that's not it their "Loudspeaker Position Guide" which I've dissected, I'll check. As with most of these things, it's not definitive, but there's good information you can combine with other sources to help determine what's best in your room for your needs.
I love it. Taught me loads , especially head occlusion which I never thought about before and why tweeter height for surrounds is sometimes not good and in keeping with arendals advice

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
I love it. Taught me loads , especially head occlusion which I never thought about before and why tweeter height for surrounds is sometimes not good and in keeping with arendals advice
You can download their "Loudspeaker Position Guide" for reference, which I expect covers what he said.

superjakey92

Standard Member
You can download their "Loudspeaker Position Guide" for reference, which I expect covers what he said.
Thank you for that video I learned alot. Although everything sounds better, My height atmos speakers are still 2 ft from the front left and right. In the video he said they should be line, my yamaha receiver manuel says they can be be spaced 1.5 to 3ft. If I move them in line right above the front right and left I'm going to have to splice wire because it isn't long enough to go another 2ft. Do you think it's worth the extra work to put them inline to maximize potential, or would there be no difference?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210825-062136_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210825-062136_Firefox.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 65

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Thank you for that video I learned alot.
You're very welcome, I'm happy to help.

:laugh:

Unlucky Ken.

Although everything sounds better, My height atmos speakers are still 2 ft from the front left and right. In the video he said they should be line
Well the video is Trinnov's opinion, it's not definitive, and whether Atmos speakers should be in line with front left and right depends on the room and the number of people watching etc, but if not inline, you'd generally want Atmos speakers further in to the centre, not further out. That's to help keep them apart from the side speakers.

But your speakers are front heights, so that's a different matter altogether. In line with your front L&R probably makes sense. Before you spend much time on it, have a look at the build threads here and see if you think your current setup is the end of the journey for you at this stage, or if you're likely to switch to dolby atmos, because that would make the position of your front heights irrelevant.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom