1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1speakers with 6.1 receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by waynest, Aug 13, 2005.

1. waynest

waynest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I currently have an ageing Philllips 5.1 home theatre package with wirleless rear speakers.

I want to upgrade at minimal cost but retain the speakers for now (no carpet in lounge, missus hates wires).

Now, my question concerns AV receivers. I'm looking at low end models - Yamaha stuff ~ £120. Even these are 6.1 now. Would my 5.1 Phillips speakers & sub work ok with one of these? Do 6.1 receivers have an option to output in 5.1 or do you just not use one of the rear speaker outputs, please explain how it works!

Thanks
    Wayne

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Hi

Most, if not all, 6.1/7.1 Amps/Receivers give you the option of selecting how many speakers are actually being used or not. Basically, you just select which speakers you have in the setup menu's and off you go.

3. waynest

waynest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, very helpful.

I think I'm gonna buy this Yamaha 5.1 unit:

http://digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=8709

As you guys might have guessed I don't know much about this subject. Will the naff Phillips sub I got with my theatre kit just plug into the amp and work. I notice that in the spec there is no mention of a power rating for a sub output?

Or will I need a sub with its own power source or something?

Thannks

4. waynest

waynest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another question :)

The Phillips unit was rated at 50W per channel.

If I plug the Phillips speakers into the 100W per channel Yamaha will they explode/sound terrible/work ok as long as I dont crank up the vol too far?

I'm not after excellence here guys, VFM is paramount ;)

5. cmcg55

cmcg55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They won't explode or sound terrible unless you push the speakers too hard, but that's something you'll only know by listening. Yes, the Yammy is ABLE to supply more power than your existing receiver, but it'll only do so if you tell it to (via the volume knob!). Just common sense really... give it a little run out, see how it all goes, but when you get the impression the speakers are beginning to struggle, it's time to rein the horses in.

That said, you may find very quickly that the new receiver exposes weaknesses in the speakers much more than your old one does. At that point, I suggest your best course of action will be to tell the wife how incredibly beautiful she looks every morning, how she's your goddess, etc, etc. She'll give in. Eventually. Probably. Maybe. :hiya:

6. cmcg55

cmcg55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without checking the receiver spec, it's probably because the receiver sub-output is a pre-amp output only (meaning it sends only an unamplified signal to the sub). That's how the vast majority of receivers are these days and that's because the vast majority of subs are "active" i.e. they have their own amplifier on board. Yes, there are passive subs around, and there are equally receivers which have amplified sub outputs, but at the range you're spending in (and indeed, many levels above)... no, you're looking at a pre-out with a powered sub. Your Phillips sub most likely is powered already. Shouldn't be too hard to find out - does it plug into the wall socket? If it does, it's powered. If it doesn't, and it draws all its power from your receiver, it's passive.

7. waynest

waynest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, the sub hasnt got its own power cable so its 'passive'. OMG, I need to approach 'her' about spending 'more' :suicide:

Any recommendations for budget sub/amp? Are these normally sold together or separately?

Thanks