5.1s For Gaming

KSpen

Standard Member
Hi, Im at two minds. Looking into some 5.1s for the PC just for gaming. Heard the Logitech Z-5500s are great, but cant help that pushing further and going for the proper AV and sub route will be a lot better.

In your opinion, is it worth doubling up and getting an AV rec & 5.1s over the Logitech Z-5500s just for gaming?

looking at the Q Acoustics 1010i & Sony STR-DH800 at the mo.
Comments appreciated

Last edited:

24 P

2nd package would win by a mile..
Don't get me wrong, the logitechs are very good value for money, but they are not Hi fi gear..
What you are looking at does pass for Hi fi, so its up to your wallet, and your judgment on how important it is to have great gaming as apposed to good gaming 5.1..

:thumbsup:

P.s, the 2nd package will always stay with you, I owned the 5500, sold em to a mate, he thinks they are the bees knees, I don't have the heart to tell him how bad they are..

:)

KSpen

Standard Member
Cheers, pretty much answers it. I dont play at silly volumes, but my mate said the 5.1 with reciever will only outperform the logitechs at higher volumes.

Lets say, at a volume that wont disturb ppl downstairs can you vouch it makes a difference?
Thanks

24 P

The sub on the Logitech is over powering and can be trouble some to get "right", it does not have an X over you can control soyou will find that as a big sub, it just produces too much bass.. It is a design flaw IMO.. stick with the 2nd package if you can afford to do so..
Lower listening volumes with the 2nd package should be better and you will have more control over the bass..

24 P

Nps mate, always a pleasure to help people who need that extra info..
You will have a kick butt system that will stay with you for a longer time than the z 5500..
I have made the mistake of buying one of these, like I said, they are not bad, but there are better systems for a little more investment which will bring better added value overall..

I would be interested when you get your system, what you think.. keep me posted..

KSpen

Standard Member
Will do mate..
Actually theres one more thing if I may? Would it be better to get the ATI 5xxx series graphics card which have onboard 7.1 Realtek chips (DTS-HD) and HDMI it to the reciever, or Coax the sound from my X-FI Fatality?

24 P

You still need a Sound card that will enable you to do HD audio, the GPU only allows Pass through, doesn't actually decode it..
Also you will need a HD ready amp, DTS MA and DD TRUE HD..
I only know of 2 atm and they are not cheap..
If you are just using the Fatality for gaming, which is no slouch, this will be fine coax out, but 1 thing, you do realise no pc games enable you to play digital out?

KSpen

Standard Member
Well im not too bothered about HD audio at the mo, unless they bring games out on Blu-ray.
No digital out for games! So I cant DVI to HDMI the visuals to the reciever and Coax from my soundcard?I understand the new ATI cards have onboard sound (Realtek) and can decode audio, so maybe 1 HDMI from the GPU to the reciever may solve this problem.

24 P

I can't mention for the 5xxx seris, but if you want to make sure that your PC sound is full proof, look for an AVR with analog in.
I could never get my PC with a Creative Labs Xfi sound card, wasn't cheap, to work with Digital out, only analog out..
I don't want to mislead you, but to my knowledge no pc games are digital sound, where as Consoles are..
Hence why i game more on consoles.. 5.1 digital..
You might have to do more research before dropping any $..

KSpen

Standard Member
24 P, you've just saved me a wad of cash! Thank you!
I'll defo look into this, ah, why cant it be so simple?

But do the X-FIs have analog out? So I can connect it to the AVR? Ive only noticed analog in.

24 P

Last edited:

24 P

I have the same 1, but not fatality, break out box and remote though.
You don't have Dolby Digital Live, but if you look at the card itself, it has 3 mini stereo 3.5 mm analog out, making 5.1 analog.
This will work as long as you get a AVR with 5.1 analog in..

KSpen

Standard Member
Great, at least its possible. Worth a shot, but good to know about Dolby Digital Live on any future upgrades. Wish I could email you a drink! Thanks for all the help & info

24 P

Nps dude, mp, I do enjoy helping people, comes quite naturally..
What I learn I pass on, albeit with some arrogance and bias... :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom