1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1Ch Inputs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Gerry, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have a Sony STRDB940 amp which has 5.1ch inputs on the back. Now I know if I get a DVD player that has on board decoding and 5.1ch outputs I can hook up the DVD player to my amp. However what I do not know is what benefits I will get from doing this as opposed to connecting the DVD player to the amp via a digital(opt or coax) cable. Will the end result not be the same.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You don't get any benefit of using the 5.1 connection instead of using optical or coax. In fact it's more likely that the decoder in the amp will outperform the one in the DVD player.
    If you look around you will note that some players have decoder build in and some do not, but you don't have to bother as a digital connection is sufficient to connect to your amp.
    Thus the 5.1 input remains free and can perhaps later be used for a multichannel DVD-A or SACD player.

Please do not let you put of a purchase just because the player has a decoder build in and you are not going to use it, just ignore that fact and buy if you think the player does fullfill your other requirements.