1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 without subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by woody007, Nov 16, 2001.

1. woody007

woody007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am just in the process of putting together a home cinema setup, but can't quite afford the subwoofer yet.

Will I get enough bass out of the front and rears to compensate until I can afford one?, or will it be completely bass-less?

Andy

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This all depends on what speakers you have and what their frequency range is.

Some amps have different options for were the bass is to be sent.

MAIN + SUB / MAIN / SUB so select NO SUB and MAIN

:cool:

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you are using full range speakers you will get as much bass as you would if using them for normal stereo duties but not the kind of bass that you can feel.

I started off with floorstanders that sounded great on their own but there was a significant improvement when I added the sub.

Ian

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the subwoofer is more important than the surround speakers, I would buy one and wait until I could afford the surround, even the center...

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Trouble is the subwoofer is disproportionately expensive to the rest of the speakers.

Assuming that you intend to audition speakers before buying, try to arrange a demo of a set of five full range speakers within your budget and see what you think. A lot depends on what kind of films you watch. Arnie with a sub is much better than without but if you are into a quieter type of film the difference is less.

Try Lowrider's suggestion at the same demo and ask that the rears and centre be switched off.

See which you prefer to live with.

Ian

6. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,927
    Andy ,

Take a look at my advert under Misc. in the classified section of this site.
    We may be able to come to a good deal! You can review them on HCC's review list.

Cheers
    Kev

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you will be happier going for the 5 without the sub first. Yes, it will make a huge difference but unless you have had it you won't miss it if you see what I mean. The 5 will give you full DD or DTS effects, just lacking a little bass. If you are getting large floorstanders as mains then you will be OK. It's worth noting that even for music, 99% of main speakers cannot reproduce the frequency of a guitarts low E string but SACD or DVD a will sort that. It's up to you but I would (and did) go for the main 5 (Ruark Contempory R) and wait to get the sub.

It's a question of is it better to have been subbed and lost than to have never been subbed at all?

S

8. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,559
    I would strongly recommend that you do have a subwoofer, even at the expense of your speaker system. It makes a huge difference.
    If your budget is a grand right now, then I would spend £500 on the sub and £500 on the speakers. Then at a later date, sell the speakers second hand and spend a couple of grand on a new set.
    IMO it's not worth buying a subwoofer if it costs less than £500. (I'm thinking specifically of a Q150e). If you can pick up a quality subwoofer second hand then all the better.
    If your budget is £600, get a £500 sub and £100 speakers.
    The sub will make up for the shortcomings in the speakers to a large degree.
    This may ba an opinion which some people disagree with. But it is based on experience. I had mediochre speakers and a good sub. The system sounded great. Better speakers improved the system of course, but the 'ooomph', the impact produced by a good sub really hightens the sense of excitement.

9. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess it depends what you are using your system for primarily. I would say I use mine 70% of the time for CD's so quality mains is much more important to me than a sub. A set of £100 speakers and a £500 sub would be totally useless for me but if you were primarily using it for dvd/tv then it would be appropriate. I don't have a sub hooked up at the mo but my system still blows people away in 5.1(-1). Plus the sound of JK, Dire Straits or Rachmaninov through my Ruark Preludes makes life worth living.

I spose you have to decide what you want the system for and then prioritise that with a view to filling in the gaps later. I am looking to get the Ruark Log-rythym when 700 notes falls out of the sky one day. I'll definately need one if I get a SACD/DVD A player anyway.

S

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Come on Woody, give us some feedback

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you seen these guys
    Maybe you could Build your own sub for £300 they say its the Equal to a £600 sub plus youd have the fun of doing it.

http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/ipl_acoustics_kits_for_hi.htm

To me they seem to be selling DIY REL's how hard could it be? Just follow the instuctions and take you time.

12. woody007

woody007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thanks for the great response everybody, Interesting opinions put forward on this. Just goes to show there is no definitive answer.

As I already have 4 speakers from my existing hifi setup, I will try them sub-less, until I can afford to buy a decent sub.

Although, in the meantime I may look into the idea of building one myself.

Cheers
    Again

Andy

13. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Andy, you still haven't told us what those speakers are - for all we know you could have a pair of PMC FB1s in which case you arguably won't need a sub at all. Come on, let the cat out of the bag.

Oh, and Spectre, as for it not being "worth buying a subwoofer if it costs less than £500", I think my REL Q200E brand new from Laservision for £450 kind of blows that argument out of the water.

Matt.

14. woody007

woody007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the speakers I have are 4 Mordaunt Short MS05i's. Not huge but perfectly good for the job intended at the time.

My setup and budget is very humble compared to some of the budgets and equipment mentioned on this forum, I only have about £500 for the amp and centre speaker. Hopefully, early next year, I'll be able to afford the sub.

Andy

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mean this in a bad way, But WHAT HAVE YOU GOT?

1. 4 Mordaunt Short MS05i's
    2. Amp ? (you could get a Kenwood KRFV5050 for £159.95)
    3. DVD ?
    4. VCR ?
    5. No Sub (you could a Mordaunt Short MSW 20 for £149.95)
    6. No Centre (you could a Mordaunt Short MSW 905c for £119.95)

Total Cost £429.85

The amp you can get for 149.99 if you take a copy of HCC with you

They also have a DD/DTS Sony for 119.95 which would bring the total down to £400 which means you have money for the Leads/Speaker cable. or you could pick up a DVD player.

Yes a good sub will cost £500+ but at the moment your missing out on the fun I'd get old of these items and then slowly upgrade which enjoying some Great films.

www.richersounds.com

No I don't work for them !

This info was taken from their web site.

16. woody007

woody007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently have:

DVD player: Sony DVP735d
    Speakers:4x Mordaunt Short MS05i's
    AMP: Sherwood stereo receiver (no surround)
    VCR: Crappy Matsui - don't really use it much.

Looking at purchasing in next couple of weeks:

AMP: Marantz SR4200 £269
    Centre speaker: Mordaunt Short MSC20 £99

Andy

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you'll be spending £368 which leaves £132 almost enough for the Sub I talked about.

18. woody007

woody007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, cheers for the advice. Much appreciated

Sorry for the confusion!

:)

Andy

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hell if it comes down to it I'll give you £20 for the Sherwood

20. kev_gordon

kev_gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HA!

21. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    you could do what i once did. i bought a second hand yamaha sub and stripped out the driver and ordered a graded rel q bass driver and fitted that instead. i then rewired the sub internally with better speaker cable and the end result was pretty good! total cost - £250! alright, it was crude but it did the job quite well:cool: