1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 vs 7.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by marck, Feb 21, 2003.

1. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone experminted between running 7.1 with rear and side speakers on 'small' compare to just having a pair of full range speakers and running them as 'large' on the rear.

I know that the size of the room dictates, but this question is based on a smallish room, say 6m * 4m.

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but I don't exactly know what you mean here.

Setting speakers to small/large has nothing to do with the size of the room, it is purely down to how the speaker produces the low frquencies.

I would say that in most cases members here with full systems would have the rears set to small.

May be if you posted the make/model and frequency rating of your rears more advice could be given.

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the question here was whether anyone's running 7.1 with the rear four speakers all set to 'small' (regardless of size) rather than just two rear speakers set to 'large' - which is what I suspect marck is running currently.

Anyway, for what it's worth, once my Pioneer 2011 finally arrives, I'll be experimenting with running four rear speakers, all set to small. If/when the ******** thing ever turns up, I'll let you know whether it's an improvement over three rear speakers (which are all set to small currently).

4. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Juboy,

That is kind of what I meant. Infact I am currently running 4 reas (well 2 rears and 2 sides) and am thinking of just running 2 rears (no sides).

For some more details, I have a 5 channel Copland amp (all apart from sides) and a 8000SX (sides). My speakers are Castle Howards S2 (fronts), Castle Richmond (rears), Missions 77DS (sides). I am in the process of changing my front speakers (to ML) and am thinking about moving the Castle Howards to the Rears and removing the sides completely.

5. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    marck,

For what it's worth, I'm running 4 rears (Kef Q2ds sides, Kef Q1s rears, Denon 3802 amp). I find the immersive (?) quality of the extra side/rear speakers makes my movie watching experience far more enjoyable.

All the rear speakers are set to small as they don't go that low; the sub integrates very well, the lower frequencies appear to come from the relevant rear speaker.

I spent many hours with Avia to find the perfect balance and also test the rear/side only combination. I found that the most useful test to show how the addition of extra rears can be beneficial, was the pink noise channel pan.

With 4 rears the transition between front right, side right, rear right, rear left, side left and front left was very smooth with no noticeable gaps as the tight ball of sound moved around the room.

With 2 sides only there was a gap as the sound passed from side right to side left (no rears), and with 2 rears there was a gap when the sound passed from front right to rear right (no sides).

This may have a lot to do with the amps own ability with matrix/non matrixed surround sound (when using 4 rears), but this might be confusing things even further.

I hope this has helped :confused:

6. William Shin

William Shin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Castle Howards S2 for the Rears? :eek:
    I think you better keep them as the front.:rolleyes:

7. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Interesting comments... I am going to experiment with this over the next few days. I will post my findings later in the week.

With regard to Castle Howard S2 on rears - I am replacing my fronts with a pair of Martin Logan Ascents - I much prefer the sound quality from electrostatic speakers. That is why I am thinking of running the rears as full range - simply because they are a very good speaker....