1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 Vs 7.1

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Levi-501, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Levi-501

Levi-501
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not quite sure where to post this !

Is a full 7.1 system (2xFs, 1xC, 2xSur 2xRears & 1xSub) far supeior than a 5.1 system (2xFs, 1xC, 2xSur & 1xSub) ?

Why I ask, I have just upgraded my surrounds speakers and was considering either selling the old ones, or buying another power amp and installing them as rear speakers.

Thanx

2. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Not in the hi fi forum :) - Speakers or Processors under AV may be more suitable if the mods care.

No it is not far superior. It depends on the size and shape of your room, and type of speakers you have and quality of your surround processor. If you have a very large room and want a large viewing area (multiple guests), then 7.1 has more advantages.

Can you post all these details, perhaps with a room layout diagram? (inc details of all equipement)

3. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    A lower quality 7.1 system will not sound as good as a better quality 5.1 system.

A lot will depend on the size of the room. A 7.1 system will fill in the gaps (as it were) in a larger room.

A good 5.1 system will have better 'effects steering' which will position the surround effects more realistically than a cheaper 7.1 system.

Most amps now come with 7.1 as standard these days. I would rather put my money into getting a top notch 5.1 system in the first place and add the final surrounds as the icing on the cake.

As already said - what system do you have now?

4. Levi-501

Levi-501
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sound equipment is as follows

Naim Av2 Processor
    2x Rega Maias power amps (Bi-amping Fronts)
    2x Rotel RB991 power amps (1 for Bi-amping Centre Speaker, the other for Surrounds)

Fronts KEF Reference 2
    Centre KEF 200c
    Surrounds KEF TDM34DS
    Sub Rel Stadium 2

Possible Rears (7.1) KEF Q2ds, as I have these, I would also buy another RB991

All connected with Chord Chamleon and Chrod Signature or Odyessy

Room is square, with plasma in the middle of the far wall, fronts either side with centre underneath. Surrounds are just above ear level, on side walls, sub sits right in the middle of the room, just in front of the viewer.

5. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    That looks pretty high quality to me mate. Nice set-up there :smashin:

I'd say your room size would benefit from 7.1.

I guess that to get something better in 5.1 you'll have to upgrade a lot of hardware to get any meaningful difference, adding a new amp to get 7.1 will give a definite improvement to the overall surround experience - assuming it's all set up correctly.

6. Levi-501

Levi-501
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, it takes a while to find the bits you like !

I am not really looking to upgrade any hardware, as you say I would have to find very deep pockets to improve significantly. Currently the system is very well balanced.

My main reason for asking about going 7.1 is I have a spare pair of Kef Q2ds surround speakers, and as the AV2 has the capability of 7.1 it was a case 'Shall I buy another RB991 and connect them as rears?' failing that I will just sell them.

Set up correctly ??? well how good is perfect ? All the speakers are in the optimum position, with their respective trim levels and distances from the listener calibrated. The electronics components have their own shelf on the rack or wall mounted shelfs. Signal cables are kept fair away from power cables.

As it stands the system has plenty of balls, and huge amounts of power, bullets and a like fly around the room like no tomorrow, as do air and space craft, and best of all explosions :D

7. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    If it was me...?

Sell the KEFs and buy some more DVDs

Sounds like you're happy with the set up - if it ain't broke don't fix it. :D

8. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Did you say what size your room was? Can't see it.

You have the av processor
    You have the speakers
    You have more amps than anyone in history :)

You should (note, this is not my opinion, this is FACT ;)):
    Temporarily stop bi-amping fronts, and use power to try out 7.1. See if you prefer it to 5.1, in your room, with your equipment.
    You can blind switch between 5.1 & 7.1 - be objective, don't try and hear the speakers, try and enjoy what your watching, and see which is best.

9. Levi-501

Levi-501
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So true, about the best upgrade anyone can do !