1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 vs 7.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Philly112, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,475
    Is it just me, or do most people still use 5.1?? I have a Yamaha AX1 which I may want to upgrade, powering 5 M&K S85'S all round. It seems that all the AV manufacturers seem hell bent on offering more and more channels of amplification, when all I want is 5 channels of good quality power. I want my next purhase to last some time, and therefore to have firewire etc, but the new Yammys and Denons which have this also pack in more channels than I want (as does my exising amp). Anyway, just a comment - will probably have to go for a pre power Bryston or similar, but will have to wait for them to offer the 'new' connections (even the new Arcam power amp is seven bloody channels!)
    Any one else out there paying for amplification they don't need?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think I'm right in saying that at present there are no 7.1 DVDs and not likely to be any in great numbers anytime soon.

Real 6.1 .. as opposed to synthesised from 5.1 .. is somewhat more common but still far from being on the majority of DVDs.

I have yet to see a 6.1 speaker 'set', though maybe I've not been looking carefully enough if they exist they're rare too.

3. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just noticed on the Pio ax10i-s you can bi-amp the mains at the cost of loosing the back sur, so 5.1 with bi-amping! Nice! :)

4. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,475
    Aliean

Yes, I noticed this too, but my M&K's have only one set of inputs (ie can't be bi wired). Could I still use the Pioneer? Certainly would solve my problems!

5. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could use the 2 extra channels to power a set of speakers in another room.

6. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,475
    My house is already like a spiders web with all the wires. Can't afford the divorce costs if I put more speakers in!

7. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the bi-amping and A or B option on the Pio is a nice idea, you can have 7.1, 5.1 + 2 in another room or 5.1 with bi-amped mains. You might not use it now (it'll still work perfectly as normal 5.1) but later you may either add the extra 2 as rears, need music in a second reception room (without having to buy all the kit) or upgrade you front mains to ones that can be bi-wired.

To me it's just another tick on the Pio's for my next amp (my ageing Yam A1 doesn't know this yet, Shhhhhhh ;) ).

8. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I came up with this idea about 3 years ago. Wish you could patent an idea :D

9. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Most powers are still only 5 channels, processors are 7.1, just dont use the surround back...