5.1 v 6.1 or 7.1

Radg

Standard Member
Hi all

Just wanted to know if any of you out there can tell me the real world difference of a 6.1 or 7.1 system over 5.1. No 2 extra speaker comments please :laugh:

I noticed in a post Wicket that you ahve 7.1? Does it make a lot of difference and what media does it work on. does dolby digital 5.1 make use of the extra speakers or is it just the new virtual dolby that uses them?

Just trying to decide between the Denon 500 and 550?

Cheers for any responses :smashin:

wicket

Radg said:
Hi all

Just wanted to know if any of you out there can tell me the real world difference of a 6.1 or 7.1 system over 5.1. No 2 extra speaker comments please :laugh:

I noticed in a post Wicket that you ahve 7.1? Does it make a lot of difference and what media does it work on. does dolby digital 5.1 make use of the extra speakers or is it just the new virtual dolby that uses them?

Just trying to decide between the Denon 500 and 550?

Cheers for any responses :smashin:

I thought both the 500 and 550 could be upgraded to 7.1 sound. It makes a difference from the point of view that you are getting extra sound. Though I have the extra speakers, I have them both in the 6.1 position (ie centre back). The hubbie won't allow me to put them in the corners and pull the rear two speakers forward to be in the correct position.

DVDS encoded in 6.1 sound, do the system justice. However, these discs are few and far between at the moment. The tv and Sky+'s sound is fed through the Denon, with the sound output selected being DTS Neo Cinema or DPIIx. Both these take existing 5.1 sound and make it sound like 7.1, which does make a difference.

However, to say whether it is justifiable to go out and buy a stereo amp and two speakers for these benefits is another matter. Personally I don't think this extra expense is justiable until more 6.1/7.1 dvd discs are available. I upgraded because I was in the fortunate position of having a good quality spare stereo amp and two speakers packed away in a cupboard. The main thing to remember is it is easy to upgrade the system.

Radg

Standard Member
Yeah as far as i am aware if you have a 500, get an active sub you can use the spare speaker terminal for 6.1. The 550 does 6.1 and 7.1 right out the box.

Just wanted to check if it was worth splashing out the £200 or so quid the 550 costs over the 500. Plus i have a weird shaped room that is forcing me to bring the left and right surround level with the listener and i feared it might leave a gap at the rear which 6.1 would fill.

Cheers :smashin:

wicket

Radg said:
Yeah as far as i am aware if you have a 500, get an active sub you can use the spare speaker terminal for 6.1. The 550 does 6.1 and 7.1 right out the box.

Just wanted to check if it was worth splashing out the £200 or so quid the 550 costs over the 500. Plus i have a weird shaped room that is forcing me to bring the left and right surround level with the listener and i feared it might leave a gap at the rear which 6.1 would fill.

Cheers :smashin:

The 500 needs an active sub and another speaker for 6.1 sound or 2 speakers and an amp for 7.1 sound.

I don't think the 550 does 6.1/7.1 right of the box, you still need to have the extra speakers. I would check whether you still need another amp with Denon, it may be the unit has the power to power the extra two speakers in built.

Both units carry the same decoders, it is just how you connect the extra speakers.

Stew

Standard Member
Plus i have a weird shaped room that is forcing me to bring the left and right surround level with the listener

That's actually the correct set up for 5.1 :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom