5.1 upgrade options?

Stukos

Standard Member
Hi all,

It's been a while since I last updated my living room 5.1 system...

I currently use the following:

Onkyo 507
Jamo A102 5.1 satellite speakers and sub.
Samsung smart TV (relatively new)
Sky+ HD
PS4

Looking for some advice on what I should be thinking about replacing if upgrading. As the AV receiver/speakers are around 5 years+ old I assume that technology has advanced.... thoughts?

As for a budget I'd hope to pay similar to the original prices, (sub ~£500).

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'Looking for some advice on what I should be thinking about replacing if upgrading' - if the Room, Room layout, Mounting options allow it the loudspeakers would be a good place to start.

'As for a budget I'd hope to pay similar to the original prices, (sub ~£500)' - I fear your budget is going to deliver a sideways step rather than a meaningful upgrade, though you could consider going second hand!

Joe

Stukos

Standard Member
'Looking for some advice on what I should be thinking about replacing if upgrading' - if the Room, Room layout, Mounting options allow it the loudspeakers would be a good place to start.

'As for a budget I'd hope to pay similar to the original prices, (sub ~£500)' - I fear your budget is going to deliver a sideways step rather than a meaningful upgrade, though you could consider going second hand!

Joe
Thanks Joe, if I can't see much of an improvement for my budget, I guess I'd be best to save it until next year and go for a 4k TV once Sky start transmitting that.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
As above, you will see no improvement if you spend the same as before. Speaker technology has not moved on much since you bought your current set so if you take into account inflation you would probably need to spend more than you did then to just match the sound quality you have now. The same can be said for the sound quality of the amp as well. All that has changed on amps in the last 5 years is the functionality with extra features being added. These have not improved the amps themselves hence the sound quality has not really changed (but you can do more with the new amps though).
Your current AVR really deserves better speakers than you current have to get the best from it. In fact you could certainly justify spending over £1k or so on speakers themselves just to get the best from it. Hence I would look to upgrade your speakers first.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
If doing that I would also budget for the centre at the same time (or not run a centre at all) since you really want the front 3 to be the same make/model of speaker.
But upgrading the fronts to larger and better speakers would certainly be a good option. Something like the Wharfedale 200 series would be worth a look.

Stukos

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply, had a look at the Warfdale's.

The 220's and 220c centre look to be a good option/combo.

Would these be a noticeable improvement over the small jamo speakers?

Stukos

Standard Member
I see superfi now have the 230's for £250. Which would be much the same price for the 220's after adding stands.

Would these be a good upgrade or should I go for the 220's?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom