5.1 to Atmos help and recommendations

At the top left of your pic there are four brackets pictured horizontally - are the holes spaced 100mm apart on any of them? That’s the spacing of the Kef keyholes.
View attachment 1536450
I'll get the bracket kit out tomorrow (hopefully) and meassure the distance between the holes the parts pictured. As I'm assuming that's the measurement you're after?

Screenshot_20210702-194611_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I'll get the bracket kit out tomorrow (hopefully) and meassure the distance between the holes the parts pictured. As I'm assuming that's the measurement you're after?

View attachment 1536479
Exactly mate. I’m hoping those holes align with the keyholes on the Kefs!

Exactly mate. I’m hoping those holes align with the keyholes on the Kefs!
I think they're slightly elongated too. So that may make even more likely they'll fit...

I'm out with extended family/kids tomorrow, so will try and do it when I get back 👍🏼

I bought a pair of Kef R8a’s this morning and plan to go with a 5.1.2 configuration to start with, with the Kefs in the Top Middle placement. When I add a second pair at some point they can then either go into the Front Height or Rear Height position, but plenty of time to figure that one out.

From what I understand about the Top Middle positioning of the speakers, I should mount them at ceiling height in line with the edge of the sofa, where my knees will be?

I bought a pair of Kef R8a’s this morning and plan to go with a 5.1.2 configuration to start with, with the Kefs in the Top Middle placement. When I add a second pair at some point they can then either go into the Front Height or Rear Height position, but plenty of time to figure that one out.

From what I understand about the Top Middle positioning of the speakers, I should mount them at ceiling height in line with the edge of the sofa, where my knees will be?

@Rizvan said "I mounted my SVS Prime Elevations on the ceiling in front of the seating position, approx 1m from MLP."

50155967103_1111de5c02_c.jpg

@Rizvan said "I mounted my SVS Prime Elevations on the ceiling in front of the seating position, approx 1m from MLP."

50155967103_1111de5c02_c.jpg
Yeah that’s not going to be happening :rotfl:

What I’m wondering is, do I mount them in line with my knees, or about a foot back and in line with the centre of the couch?

If you're going to have them as TM on the side walls then inline with the seating but slightly forward. The above the knees rule is with in ceiling speakers in a 5.1.2. If you're going to get another pair of KEFs then your positioning has to be carefully considered if you're not good with a plastering trowel as you may have to the move those speakers slightly back.

In view of potential movement of speakers I'd have the original pair as front placed, either on the wall in line with the front left and right or in the usual position on the front speakers. That's what I would personally do in view of another pair eventually appearing....................or get the four right now.:devil::)

I’m already pushing my luck buying this pair so soon after buying the AVR! :)

So can’t I mount them on the side wall, in line with the middle of the couch, pointed at the middle of the couch while I wait for the second pair?

The second pair will more than likely be placed in the front height position, high on the front wall in line with the L/R speakers. At this point, where would the first pair need to be moved to? (Or would they be fine where they are as they weren’t in that slightly forward at my knees position?)

Why not both on side wall if possible, see below (SVS Prime Elevation):

original.jpg

original.jpg

Well with the couch against the back wall I feel it would be a bit much having six speakers around the couch at the back of the room and only three at the front. That’s why I was thinking two at the TM position and then two at the FH to help fill the room, if that makes sense?

I mean I could fit the first pair in the top front position on the side wall (just in front of my knees?) or top middle and then add the second pair as rear heights, above the surrounds? But the front and rear atmos speakers would only be 1 meter apart. (Which makes me think too many speakers in one location :rotfl: )

So looking at the back right of the room, I could mount the first speaker above Audrey Hepburn and the second above the surround? That’s the 1 meter distance I was referring to.

AF5F889D-D3BF-4317-AEFD-139E53618932.jpeg

So looking at the back right of the room, I could mount the first speaker above Audrey Hepburn
This is definitely in the top 50 of....

*"Things you'll only hear on an Audio Video Forum"

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Got the speakers up yesterday and started running them in last night. Tried a few scenes from Le Mans 66, Saving Private Ryan and my go to, Hans Zimmer Live in Prague. After that I listened to some Atmos music on the ATV. I’m very impressed with them so far and looking forward to watching more tv and movies properly, so I can properly appreciate the subtleties they bring. I’m also pleased at how well they seem to integrate with the rest of the speakers when listening to music so I’m glad I opted for the R8a’s. I’ve still to run Dirac though which I’ll hopefully do tomorrow but the soundstage so far sounds fantastic!

The angle they are currently at is pointing towards the middle of the sofa, but I might try angling them a little further so they are pointing at the actual seat for the side they are on.

6355A6F8-CCD0-4CA0-8146-C2C55F48FEED.jpeg
B35BBD86-F7BD-4EFA-8201-F8EE4A5C4AF3.jpeg

The angle they are currently at is pointing towards the middle of the sofa, but I might try angling them a little further so they are pointing at the actual seat for the side they are on.
Just to update on this, angling them down toward the MLP made them quite directional. In the amaze demo from Dolby for example, the rain sounded like it was more to the left and right of me. I set the angle to 90 degrees (the normal wall mounting position) so that the drivers were now firing over our heads and that made a big difference. Now the rain sounds more like it’s overhead and sounds in general have more height to them. It feels more like a bubble now and a bit more immersive than the way I originally set them yesterday.

I feel that you have made the right choice, which will allow you to change them to rear heights, when you are able to put the other 2 on the front wall. You are going to be :rolleyes: :D :clap: I have my denon x4100 setup as 5.1.4 front and rear heights as well, please report back asap!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom