• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

5.1 to 7.1 question

Rip

When going from a 5.1 system to 7.1 system am i right in thinking that the extra 2 rear speakers that your adding is in fact mono? so no real diference in using 6.1 or 7.1 really?

This is what i belive to be the case, just would like someone to confirm that i got it right really......:thumbsup:

jw250

That's my understanding of it too. The 2x surround-back speakers are of the same channel, the benefit though is proper diffusion of that channel so that it doesn't sound like 1x speaker behind you - 4x are used to create the surround sound field.

Think of it in the way that cinemas are designed: 12, 14, 16 speakers etc. Not more channels just better sound distribution.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom