5.1 to 2.1 or Sound Projector

g4fne

Novice Member
Hi Folks.

For the last many years i have been using & happy with my Sony DAV-S550 Compact AV 5.1 system, but due to moving in the last year & the laying of wooden floors i need to lose the rear speakers.
The room is approx 16ft x 12ft, with the TV watched across the 12ft.

My questions are .....

By losing the rear speakers & using only 2 front speakers & sub woofer, is this the equivalent to 2.1 surround ... or is a modern 2.1 system far superior ??

By adding the centre speaker .... is this in fact 3.1 (such a thing ??)

How affective is a sound projector in comparison to a 2.1 system ?? ... I'm considering the BOSE 3-2-1 GS, Q Acoustics or Yamaha. Problem i have with anything but BOSE is the size of it. I only have a 32" LCD so needs to be sympathetic to this in size ??

Any advice appreciated

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Hi Folks.

For the last many years i have been using & happy with my Sony DAV-S550 Compact AV 5.1 system, but due to moving in the last year & the laying of wooden floors i need to lose the rear speakers.
The room is approx 16ft x 12ft, with the TV watched across the 12ft.

My questions are .....

By losing the rear speakers & using only 2 front speakers & sub woofer, is this the equivalent to 2.1 surround ... or is a modern 2.1 system far superior ??

By adding the centre speaker .... is this in fact 3.1 (such a thing ??)

How affective is a sound projector in comparison to a 2.1 system ?? ... I'm considering the BOSE 3-2-1 GS, Q Acoustics or Yamaha. Problem i have with anything but BOSE is the size of it. I only have a 32" LCD so needs to be sympathetic to this in size ??

Any advice appreciated
Have you a power source near the rear speaker positions? If so you could consider a pair of wireless rears

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom