5:1 system which will get me by on a budget!

norfbech

Established Member
Reaction score
Expecting delivery of the new telly on Monday (Panasonic TX70) owing in part to the old Philips CRT giving up the Jinn.
Came at a bad time as a million and one other bills/essentials have hit us...I say that as if it's a bad thing....but we're really looking forward to this new screen (with kids in the mix a lot of our nightly entertainment is watching films, rather than hitting the town etc...but we love film so it's cheap, fulfilling entertainment!).
These boards are pretty lethal aren't they? Basically the wad's been spent on the TV but I'd also like to compliment this with a 5:1 system (I also require a new DVD player...our current cheap player tends to freeze up 10 mins before any film concludes...the time's I've wished to drop kick the little sod...).
At this stage £150 is probably our limit (now self employed any extra's usually have to go back into the business...which happens to be digital film/music...but that's more the production side).

So...I've looked at the Sony DAV-DZ111, which includes the DVD player but I've read on here that it might be best to take the DVD player out of the all in one route to begin with i.e. amp plus the 4 speakers & sub (can add the DVD player later - pretty sure I won't need an upscaler as the panny should take care of that).
Really appreciate advice on a set up that fits in that budget (DVD may be excluded) but also isn't really, tin pot and shoddy but I understand the limitations of the all in ones and the budget.

Cheers.

Expecting delivery of the new telly on Monday (Panasonic TX70) owing in part to the old Philips CRT giving up the Jinn.
Came at a bad time as a million and one other bills/essentials have hit us...I say that as if it's a bad thing....but we're really looking forward to this new screen (with kids in the mix a lot of our nightly entertainment is watching films, rather than hitting the town etc...but we love film so it's cheap, fulfilling entertainment!).
These boards are pretty lethal aren't they? Basically the wad's been spent on the TV but I'd also like to compliment this with a 5:1 system (I also require a new DVD player...our current cheap player tends to freeze up 10 mins before any film concludes...the time's I've wished to drop kick the little sod...).
At this stage £150 is probably our limit (now self employed any extra's usually have to go back into the business...which happens to be digital film/music...but that's more the production side).

So...I've looked at the Sony DAV-DZ111, which includes the DVD player but I've read on here that it might be best to take the DVD player out of the all in one route to begin with i.e. amp plus the 4 speakers & sub (can add the DVD player later - pretty sure I won't need an upscaler as the panny should take care of that).
Really appreciate advice on a set up that fits in that budget (DVD may be excluded) but also isn't really, tin pot and shoddy but I understand the limitations of the all in ones and the budget.

Cheers.

Id recommend the Sony HTSF1000 if you can hold of one!, or wait until next month for the new Sony HTSF1100 5.1 System, both these are JUST amp and speakers and no dvd player, sound quality is astounding and exceptional value for money! its abit more than you can afford but you will need to spend that bit more to get something relativly decent.

The sony HTSF1000 currently goes for around £300, this has 4 tall boy speakers on stands an an output of 1000w and is a HDMI switcher..

Or...

You could go for the HTSS1000 which is a similiar system but without tall boy speakers, you just get sattelite speakers but its alot cheaper at approx £200.00 i believe this comes with a dvd but not sure.

Just though id mention these, do abit of research on them they are top notch systems

HI Norf - I am in the same position as you , new panny on the way and need a cheapish but good system.

As has already been mentioned I would say get the sony htss1000 for £183 , slightly over your budget but well worth it :)

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=114_61&products_id=1755

I have to disagree about the Sony HTSS-1000. I picked one up on monday and within an hour it was packed away and on its way back to the shop. The sound is simply awfull, the sub is passive (i was told it was active) and it really is pathetic, i wont even get started on the display that looks like that speak and spell that was around in the 80s. The system is rated at 1000w and is said to have a 285w sub, ive never come across anything so misleading and i can honestly say that my Logitech £40 pc speakers and sub sound better. Anyone after something around the £200 mark should go for the Yamaha AV59 pack, its leagues above the htss-1000

I have to disagree about the Sony HTSS-1000. I picked one up on monday and within an hour it was packed away and on its way back to the shop. The sound is simply awfull, the sub is passive (i was told it was active) and it really is pathetic, i wont even get started on the display that looks like that speak and spell that was around in the 80s. The system is rated at 1000w and is said to have a 285w sub, ive never come across anything so misleading and i can honestly say that my Logitech £40 pc speakers and sub sound better. Anyone after something around the £200 mark should go for the Yamaha AV59 pack, its leagues above the htss-1000

something not right then , as far as i know , its a great system

Thanks folks....apologies for not replying sooner, I must've missed this section of the boards.

I'll do a bit of research on the Sony HTSF1100 5.1 System (perhaps even the Sony HTSS-1000 though Beasty has put me off somewhat!).
Does the HTSF1100 come with tall boys...I was erring on the side of satallites bracketed upon my wall...
So this doesn't come with a DVD player - just the amp/receiver? I was thinking of buying a seperate player anyhow (poss Oppo 981).
Aside from the 5 speakers would I be able to add additional sets to there...I was thinking of drilling through to the kitchen next door and setting speakers in there.
Will also check out the Yamaha AV59 pack.
Thanks everyone...I'll research your recommendations.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom