5.1 system for medium volume and clear speech separation

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by Tremolo Arm, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mainly needed to complement visual experience (Plasma TV, PS3) but also to be used with audio (iPad and CD player).

Distance from TV = 3m.

The usage will be:

30% TV movies (Sky HD)
    20% Blu Ray movies (PS3)
    20% games (PS3)
    15% music (through iPad)
    15% music (CD player)

High volume is not essential. Quality of sound is, especially clear speech during movies.

What system can you recommend around the £300 mark?
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  2. mjbtin

mjbtin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +537
    With a £200 budget your options are limited and sq isnt going to be great.
    You could get a budget av receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers for around the £300 mark and then add the remaining speakers when funds allow.
    If sq is important then maybe going the second hand route will give you better vfm.
    You could also try asking in the all in one forum.

Regards Martin

3. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Martin

I realise I mistyped the budget level. I meant £300. In fact even stretching to £350. Would you be able to recommend something for that budget?
    Thanks

4. mjbtin

mjbtin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +537
    Onkyo and Yamaha do AV receiver/speaker packages which would be a good starting point as will give you the option to upgrade/add all of your av kit,and be flexible enough to upgrade the speakers at a later date.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HT-S5405B-C...-Package/dp/B004V5ZNDE/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0

https://www.forumhifivisual.co.uk/H...tems/YAMAHA_AV71_HOME_CINEMA_SYSTEM_3282.html

Regards Martin

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,022
    For around £300, though you are not going to like hearing it, I recommend you either consider a stereo, or save up another £500.

Yes, you can get a system for £300, the question is, will you like it? Will it satisfy your needs? If you want clarity over sheer weight and power, the you need quality speakers, and quality speakers don't come cheap.

Again, how well a stereo will work depends on the available output of your TV. If your TV has analog AUDIO OUT connections, then you are set. Connect the BluRay/DVD via HDMI to the TV, then the Audio Out of the TV to the stereo. Then ... you are set.

Again, having a good stereo hinges on having a way to connect the TV to the stereo.

Here are some examples of Stereo options, that I assure you will make a very good sounding system -

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

Superfi - TANNOY MERCURY V1 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.1 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

Superfi - DALI ZENSOR 1 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

Superfi - DALI ZENSOR 1 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.2 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

Superfi - MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE BX2 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1 SPEAKERS & SW150 SUBWOOFER 2.1 SPEAKER PACKAGE

In amps -

Superfi - PIONEER A209R AMPLIFIER

Superfi - DENON PMA510AE AMPLIFIER

Superfi - MARANTZ PM5004 AMPLIFIER

Superfi - ONKYO TX8255 RECEIVER

Superfi - MARANTZ PM6003 AMPLIFIER

Superfi - PIONEER A307R AMPLIFIER

Superfi - YAMAHA AS300 AMPLIFIER

Superfi - HARMAN KARDON HK3390 RECEIVER

Superfi - YAMAHA AS500 AMPLIFIER

All good amp, though the Denon PMA510 is a real bargain. The Marantz PM6003 is a bit more expensive, but it is on deep discount right now. The Yamaha AS300 and more expensive AS500 are good amps with lots of power.

Again, using a stereo hinges on having an analog connection from your TV. But I can safely assure you that a few quality components will massively our perform a lot of so-so components.

If you can give us the model number of your TV, we can look up the owner's manual and see if it has analog connections.

Steve/bluewizard

6. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    I'd recommend getting fewest components possible- certainly not a whole 5.1 system. Perhaps just go stereo for now? £300 isn't going to go far for 5.1- in fact all that can be gobbled up on a budget av amplifier!