5.1 Surround Speaker system in Basement

avu

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am hoping some of you can provide me some helpful suggestions. I am looking for your inputs for a 5.1 surround speaker system for room size 16x18 in the Basement. Currently, the basement is being finished and 1-2 weeks out from all being sheetrocked. I believe in-ceiling speakers are best. My budget is around $1K and I am not looking for any high-end speaker system, basically, we are going to use this basement to watch movies only. Can you also please suggest a receiver too. Thank you.

Hi there! This is UK based forum so little tricky to know all the options in your country, but i think with so tight budget you should look in to ID brands (internet direct that offers home trial) if you can still consider normal size bookshelf speakers. In-ceiling speakers wouldn´t be ideal as the sound would come overhead. This is how it (5.1) should look like ideally regarding speaker placement:

So with that in mind you could consider in-wall speakers if you want them to be more "hidden" and cleaner look. HTD has few models with great feedback!

Front three:

Or larger more capable model with 8" drivers:

For surround speakers if you can install them on side walls each side to couch then either the W65 pair or cheaper SDX:

wupc6gjplk5xbfrqj43e.jpg

jrskbuxcxrdhhcef6ayr.jpg

You also need CL2/CL3 rated speaker wire for in-wall installation:

This Yamaha model may be best pick for low budget. Refurb unit with 18month warranty. Yamaha is well known from reliability and this is the higher Aventage range. It has lot of features for future in mind if you want expand your system.

1000$ budget is so low that i´m not sure will you get everything right away.

325$ (smaller LCR) speakers
450$ for av-receiver
47$ speaker wire (if 100feet is enough)

Total 822$ without subwoofer so you need to bump up the budget or have to find cheaper receiver. This Denon would go 399$.

Amazon product ASIN B07QRC9NP5

If you could stretch little to get the Dayton 15" subwoofer. It has been quite popular choice to fill larger rooms. The quality is what you pay for though, but i don´t think there is anything better for such low price. In future you could add second identical if you are happy to make them work less and to give you smoother bass response.
Amazon product ASIN B00JZTQIJ4

Hi there! This is UK based forum so little tricky to know all the options in your country, but i think with so tight budget you should look in to ID brands (internet direct that offers home trial) if you can still consider normal size bookshelf speakers. In-ceiling speakers wouldn´t be ideal as the sound would come overhead. This is how it (5.1) should look like ideally regarding speaker placement:

So with that in mind you could consider in-wall speakers if you want them to be more "hidden" and cleaner look. HTD has few models with great feedback!

Front three:

Or larger more capable model with 8" drivers:

For surround speakers if you can install them on side walls each side to couch then either the W65 pair or cheaper SDX:

wupc6gjplk5xbfrqj43e.jpg

jrskbuxcxrdhhcef6ayr.jpg

You also need CL2/CL3 rated speaker wire for in-wall installation:

This Yamaha model may be best pick for low budget. Refurb unit with 18month warranty. Yamaha is well known from reliability and this is the higher Aventage range. It has lot of features for future in mind if you want expand your system.

1000$ budget is so low that i´m not sure will you get everything right away.

325$ (smaller LCR) speakers
450$ for av-receiver
47$ speaker wire (if 100feet is enough)

Total 822$ without subwoofer so you need to bump up the budget or have to find cheaper receiver. This Denon would go 399$.

Amazon product ASIN B07QRC9NP5

If you could stretch little to get the Dayton 15" subwoofer. It has been quite popular choice to fill larger rooms. The quality is what you pay for though, but i don´t think there is anything better for such low price. In future you could add second identical if you are happy to make them work less and to give you smoother bass response.
Amazon product ASIN B00JZTQIJ4

Thanks a lot for putting together this wonderful information. Actually, I can stretch up to $1.5K. I forgot to mention that I already got a projector LG HU80KA (4K) Amazon product ASIN B07BVMSMRN
So I believe whatever Denon S-650H you recommended is compatible with the above projector (LG HU80KA) - HDMI ARC (not sure if Atmos is preferred and can go within my budget)

Is my understanding correct that these can go front - HDX-W80-E (3 of them) and rear ones (2) - SDX-W65. Appreciate your help and I am not knowlegeble in this area. Thanks.

Thanks a lot for putting together this wonderful information. Actually, I can stretch up to $1.5K. I forgot to mention that I already got a projector LG HU80KA (4K) Amazon product ASIN B07BVMSMRN
So I believe whatever Denon S-650H you recommended is compatible with the above projector (LG HU80KA) - HDMI ARC (not sure if Atmos is preferred and can go within my budget)

Is my understanding correct that these can go front - HDX-W80-E (3 of them) and rear ones (2) - SDX-W65. Appreciate your help and I am not knowlegeble in this area. Thanks.

The speakers W80 is sold in pairs and W80-E is sold each for center channel. I recommend that you contact HTD if you are intrested on them. If you consider Atmos then they have in-ceiling models too:

I would choose the Yamaha A680 over the Denon, then you can have Atmos system now or later. If you have Costco in your city check do they sell model called Yamaha TSR-700. It´s basically same machine as Yamaha RX-V6A, but the price is usually 399$ if on sale! It`s without doubt best unit in that price range, 2020 model with the latest HDMI 2.1 (8K) connections! Only sold in Costco though.

I would then consider completely different subwoofer if you can up your budget. If you could spend 500-600$ then SVS PB1000 Pro would be very hard to beat for what it offers and for that size room spot on! I know the price might look high for person who has never owned/heard a real quality subwoofer, but afterwards there wouldn´t be any doubts. The other "lesser" options would be at 400$ mark. The problem with the cheap model i linked you earlier is the low price (amp failures are possible) and the quality of bass is nowhere near close to SVS as isn´t the performance either. I would contact the HTD if you are intrested about their speakers and ask can they give you some package deal for 5 in-wall speakers and one pair of overhead in-ceiling speakers if you want Atmos right away.

This gives you idea for the 5.1.2 atmos system, normally people mount the overhead speakers roughly where your knees are when seated so slightly ahead. You also have to know some basic things with the rest of speakers how you mount them. Not the way how it looks best, rather the way it sounds best.

Thanks Gasp3621. In our Costco, we have both Denon AVR-S750H and Yamaha TSR-700, they both priced at $399 (both support Atmos).

I drew the layout of the room with speaker placement, please review. And where can I put the subwoofer? For all the in-ceiling speakers, 5 + 2 (overhead for Atmos), do you recommend HTD brand or how about Polk (Amazon product ASIN B00005T3C8)

For sub, I may consider SVS PB1000 Pro and for wiring, I can ask the builder for running wires for HTD's CL2/CL3 rated speaker wire and HDMI, is there anything else. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 4.12.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 4.12.24 PM.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 93
I have to check the link later. You should still talk with the company first, HTD if you are intrested about their products.

Yamaha receiver without doubt (it`s equivalent to Denon X2700H), it´s dirt cheap - snap it away if they have those in stock! It´s identical to RX-V6A at 599$, the TSR is specific to Costco / US. Don´t know how they can do it. Probably sell them so much.
Amazon product ASIN B08CKJKKBY
Speaker placement looks fine otherwise but the surround speakers aren´t placed optimally. I assume you can´t have them on side walls, they would be in front of listeners then which is not good either. What about spreading them more apart at the rear wall and i think those models had adjustable tweeters so could point them toward listeners?! Again you can bring this up with HTD if you send email them and show your floorplan!

The front three you would installed so that the tweeters (high frequency drivers) would be at seated ear level. Now with tv you have to make some compromise and hopefully mount the tv bit higher, but also keeping in mind that the center channel wouldn´t be installed too low shooting your knees as it`s one of the most active speaker in your system! As for the surround speakers they should be mounted about same seated ear height or slightly higher, not much cause you want good height separation to overhead speakers!

Will talk more about sub placement later. But your installer should pull another subwoofer cable ready for you future as adding 2nd subwoofer is highly recommended. Will check the placement today later with the help of program. You get much smoother response over wider area and just more room filling bass. Now that i brought this up you can still say do you feel it will be then too much spent for woofers or would you look cheaper one (~400$) if you add second identical later. You can read the benefits below:

Thank you. As the contractor is going to install the sheetrock, I will first place the order for HTD's CL2/CL3 rated speaker wire. And I will also talk to HTD about 5+2 speakers.

Thank you. As the contractor is going to install the sheetrock, I will first place the order for HTD's CL2/CL3 rated speaker wire. And I will also talk to HTD about 5+2 speakers.

Is the couch location locked in that position? If you would measure from rear wall to listeners head how much would be that distance exactly? If you can move couch forward X amount could you measure the distance from rear wall to listener what it could be max? For the center seat.

Is the couch location locked in that position? If you would measure from rear wall to listeners head how much would be that distance exactly? If you can move couch forward X amount could you measure the distance from rear wall to listener what it could be max? For the center seat.
Sorry for the delay. The couch position can be adjusted, I measured that it is 3 ft from the rear wall to the listener's head. I can move the couch to another 1 ft forward at max and that leaves 15 ft to screen from the seating area, I think 15 ft is sufficient for viewers to see a 150-inch screen (I think projector needs to be placed at least 15 ft from screen to get the full 150-inch image).

Btw, I talked to HTD today and they recommended HDX -R65 for the ceiling (2 - Atmos), HDX-W65 for the rest of them (5 - front, center, rear), center speaker should be at least 2 ft above the ground, and not above 8 ft. And for cables, they said we can use any 16 gauge wire.

Thank you.

Sorry for the delay. The couch position can be adjusted, I measured that it is 3 ft from the rear wall to the listener's head. I can move the couch to another 1 ft forward at max and that leaves 15 ft to screen from the seating area, I think 15 ft is sufficient for viewers to see a 150-inch screen (I think projector needs to be placed at least 15 ft from screen to get the full 150-inch image).

Btw, I talked to HTD today and they recommended HDX -R65 for the ceiling (2 - Atmos), HDX-W65 for the rest of them (5 - front, center, rear), center speaker should be at least 2 ft above the ground, and not above 8 ft. And for cables, they said we can use any 16 gauge wire.

Thank you.

Was there some specific reason why you shouldn´t go with the HDX-65 for surround channels (rears) and the larger 8" model for LCR? I would want the best LCR (front three) you can buy. Bit more performance with the larger drivers wouldn`t hurt!

Did you have acoustically transparent (AT) screen coming? So the speakers go behind it like this:

iguanaspeakerwall.gif

Looking with pc program the subwoofer location example front corner(s) look quite good with the couch 3ft from rear wall so keep it at that spot, should be quite good for 150" screen too! That is measured from middle seat. For the left and right listener the response changes. If you add 2nd sub to other corner again it looks good then. SVS PB1000 Pro is quite strong option if you can afford it. Notice as you live in US you get the benefits we don`t get at UK/EU. Read link below:

Last edited:
Was there some specific reason why you shouldn´t go with the HDX-65 for surround channels (rears) and the larger 8" model for LCR? I would want the best LCR (front three) you can buy. Bit more performance with the larger drivers wouldn`t hurt!

Did you have acoustically transparent (AT) screen coming? So the speakers go behind it like this:

View attachment 1495348

Looking with pc program the subwoofer location example front corner(s) look quite good with the couch 3ft from rear wall so keep it at that spot, should be quite good for 150" screen too! That is measured from middle seat. For the left and right listener the response changes. If you add 2nd sub to other corner again it looks good then. SVS PB1000 Pro is quite strong option if you can afford it. Notice as you live in US you get the benefits we don`t get at UK/EU. Read link below:

No, the HTD team recommended me with this setup - HDX-W65 (Front, rear surround) and R65 for the ceiling (atmos)...not sure why told me like this - can talk to them again.

Can you please see if this Polk model is good? Amazon product ASIN B00005T3C8
or this one (but it is a little expensive):
Polk Audio 265-RT 2 Front
Polk Audio 255c-RT 1 Center
Polk Audio 70-RT 2 Rear/Surround
Polk Audio 70-RT 2 Atmos/Ceiling
Polk Audio PSW10 1 Subwoofer $129

For screen, I am planning to get this 150 inch -
Amazon product ASIN B00I4WRVVC
I was also told that surround speakers should go to the sides (not the back wall) - as shown in this picture.....is this looking good.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 10.29.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 10.29.09 PM.png
    374 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
No, the HTD team recommended me with this setup - HDX-W65 (Front, rear surround) and R65 for the ceiling (atmos)...not sure why told me like this - can talk to them again.

Can you please see if this Polk model is good? Amazon product ASIN B00005T3C8
or this one (but it is a little expensive):
Polk Audio 265-RT 2 Front
Polk Audio 255c-RT 1 Center
Polk Audio 70-RT 2 Rear/Surround
Polk Audio 70-RT 2 Atmos/Ceiling
Polk Audio PSW10 1 Subwoofer $129

For screen, I am planning to get this 150 inch -
Amazon product ASIN B01MS71AC2
I was also told that surround speakers should go to the sides (not the back wall) - as shown in this picture.....is this looking good.

Thank you.

I mentioned earlier in some post the surround speakers should be more to sides than behind, they shouldn`t be too much in front either so perhaps you can move the couch slightly forward so the speakers would be directly to sides of each listeners if you can install them in those X locations. Also remind the installer that they go to seated ear height (tweeters).

You need this screen below which is Acoustically Transparent so all three speakers would be directly behind.
Amazon product ASIN B07RBCG5Y5
I don´t like the idea buying in-wall speakers and screen then having to compromise the speaker placement due to not having acoustically transparent screen. That means you have to move the main speakers very wide outside of screen close to corners (not ideal) and the center channel would go very low with big screen. As in ideal world you would buy three identical Polk 265-RT speakers for the LCR and install them vertically in same level with the correct angle (22-30), see below. If the main seat is 3ft from rear wall the front main speakers would be installed about 4ft 5in from the side walls to create 30degree angle. If you have professional installer who is familiar where each speaker would be installed then no issues, just want to make sure they go in optimal spots as you making holes in to wall.

img_8560-jpg.977388

As for the Polk speakers i would look these if you can afford:

3x Polk Audio 265-RT 2 (Front three best to have identical speakers all mounted vertically if possible, these are sold as each)
Amazon product ASIN B004L9GWSK
1 pair Polk Audio 60-RT (Surround speakers side of listeners)
Amazon product ASIN B004L9DGDE

1 pair Polk Audio RC65i (Atmos overhead channels)
https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-C...s=Polk+Audio+70-RT&qid=1618562494&sr=8-9&th=1

Subwoofer definitely not that junk 100$ Polk! You need to have 400-600$ budget for subwoofer still.

Yamaha TSR-700

Calculate is that possible and if not then you have to stick with the HTD ranges. Polk is very popular in US so should be great option if you can afford it.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Fir
I mentioned earlier in some post the surround speakers should be more to sides than behind, they shouldn`t be too much in front either so perhaps you can move the couch slightly forward so the speakers would be directly to sides of each listeners if you can install them in those X locations. Also remind the installer that they go to seated ear height (tweeters).

You need this screen below which is Acoustically Transparent so all three speakers would be directly behind.
Amazon product ASIN B07RBCG5Y5
I don´t like the idea buying in-wall speakers and screen then having to compromise the speaker placement due to not having acoustically transparent screen. That means you have to move the main speakers very wide outside of screen close to corners (not ideal) and the center channel would go very low with big screen. As in ideal world you would buy three identical Polk 265-RT speakers for the LCR and install them vertically in same level with the correct angle (22-30), see below. If the main seat is 3ft from rear wall the front main speakers would be installed about 4ft 5in from the side walls to create 30degree angle. If you have professional installer who is familiar where each speaker would be installed then no issues, just want to make sure they go in optimal spots as you making holes in to wall.

img_8560-jpg.977388

As for the Polk speakers i would look these if you can afford:

3x Polk Audio 265-RT 2 (Front three best to have identical speakers all mounted vertically if possible, these are sold as each)
Amazon product ASIN B004L9GWSK
1 pair Polk Audio 60-RT (Surround speakers side of listeners)
Amazon product ASIN B004L9DGDE

1 pair Polk Audio RC65i (Atmos overhead channels)
https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Ceiling-Speakers-Placement/dp/B00005T3BD/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=Polk+Audio+70-RT&qid=1618562494&sr=8-9&th=1

Subwoofer definitely not that junk 100$ Polk! You need to have 400-600$ budget for subwoofer still.

Yamaha TSR-700

Calculate is that possible and if not then you have to stick with the HTD ranges. Polk is very popular in US so should be great option if you can afford it.

First of all, thank you for the wonderful information. The above speaker set from Polk costs about $1000. I am thinking I can avoid this expensive screen - Acoustically Transparent by placing that Polk 265 in the horizontal position (instead of vertical) as there is a gap of 2 ft between screen and floor so in this case, we buy paint and it can easily save me about $500 - Amazon product ASIN B06Y1SMZCC
Here is the dimension of the wall (I changed the positioning of the projector now....please see this newly updated diagram):

Wall: 15ft width (180 inch) x 8.5 ft (103 inch);
Overall screen size: 78.3" H x 135.4" W x 1.6" D
Throw distance for the projector is 14.5 feet for 150-inches

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 10.11.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 10.11.54 PM.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 79
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Fir

First of all, thank you for the wonderful information. The above speaker set from Polk costs about $1000. I am thinking I can avoid this expensive screen - Acoustically Transparent by placing that Polk 265 in the horizontal position (instead of vertical) as there is a gap of 2 ft between screen and floor so in this case, we buy paint and it can easily save me about $500 - Amazon product ASIN B06Y1SMZCC
Here is the dimension of the wall (I changed the positioning of the projector now....please see this newly updated diagram):

Wall: 15ft width (180 inch) x 8.5 ft (103 inch);
Overall screen size: 78.3" H x 135.4" W x 1.6" D
Throw distance for the projector is 14.5 feet for 150-inches

I wouldn´t do it, but if you want to save then it´s up to you. It`s compromise as the speaker sounds better and has greater horizontal dispersion if it´s mounted upright in the same height as the main speakers. Center channel is one of the most active speaker in your system so i would think twice will you want to compromise it like that. If you do it you would mount it as high as possible (vs. seated ear height). Also you won´t get as good picture quality if you shoot to painted wall vs. projector screen and it doesn´t look as good. If you want to save somewhere now then i would consider starting with just 5.1 and do Atmos later (cable should be done ready), not sure if it´s enough though.

The new order looks ok - not as good as the earlier one as there is less potential options for dual subwoofer placements for future. One of the change you might want to do later to get more even bass response for wider seating area for all listeners. Also as the couch is now closer to rear wall it´s close that you can´t have 5.1.4 in future, meaning another pair of overhead speakers behind you. Of course that means also upgrading receiver, but if considering future upgrades that is usually one of the first one people want to do to get greater overhead effects. The 5.1.2 you start with is just the beginning.. This hobby will take lot more of your money, the "hunger" will grow trust me. :) So thinking both of those things the earlier order was more "future proof".

I wouldn´t do it, but if you want to save then it´s up to you. It`s compromise as the speaker sounds better and has greater horizontal dispersion if it´s mounted upright in the same height as the main speakers. Center channel is one of the most active speaker in your system so i would think twice will you want to compromise it like that. If you do it you would mount it as high as possible (vs. seated ear height). Also you won´t get as good picture quality if you shoot to painted wall vs. projector screen and it doesn´t look as good. If you want to save somewhere now then i would consider starting with just 5.1 and do Atmos later (cable should be done ready), not sure if it´s enough though.

The new order looks ok - not as good as the earlier one as there is less potential options for dual subwoofer placements for future. One of the change you might want to do later to get more even bass response for wider seating area for all listeners. Also as the couch is now closer to rear wall it´s close that you can´t have 5.1.4 in future, meaning another pair of overhead speakers behind you. Of course that means also upgrading receiver, but if considering future upgrades that is usually one of the first one people want to do to get greater overhead effects. The 5.1.2 you start with is just the beginning.. This hobby will take lot more of your money, the "hunger" will grow trust me. :) So thinking both of those things the earlier order was more "future proof".
Sure, we can certainly consider the Acoustically Transparent screen if it greatly improves the sound quality (thanks for your honest feedback)....what is the height you said that I should set up these Polk 265's (LCR) - 4ft, and should these be the same height as SL, SR? I see these speakers are 6.5", is that okay for my room size or go with 8"?

The Amos speakers are round-shaped and 6.5" inches.

Regarding your comment on 5.1.4, I don't think I am the type of person who wants to upgrade from 5.1.2 setup and I am not a sound crazy guy ;)

Regarding AVR, I also read that Yamaha TSR700 was buggy using HDMI ARC. Inconsistent auto on/off....any idea on this?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Sure, we can certainly consider the Acoustically Transparent screen if it greatly improves the sound quality (thanks for your honest feedback)....what is the height you said that I should set up these Polk 265's (LCR) - 4ft, and should these be the same height as SL, SR? I see these speakers are 6.5", is that okay for my room size or go with 8"?

The Amos speakers are round-shaped and 6.5" inches.

Regarding your comment on 5.1.4, I don't think I am the type of person who wants to upgrade from 5.1.2 setup and I am not a sound crazy guy ;)

Regarding AVR, I also read that Yamaha TSR700 was buggy using HDMI ARC. Inconsistent auto on/off....any idea on this?

Thank you.

The AT-screen allows you to mount the speakers in identical height for all three. That means you would ask your wife to measure from floor to seated ear height when you sit on couch. You would mount the 265 so that the tweeters (the driver in the middle) would be at ear height when seated. So if your wife measures it like i said then you know exactly how to mount the speakers. That would apply to LCR and for surround speakers (again tweeter at seated ear height). You understand it?

The 265 model has dual 6,5" drivers so no need for larger ones. You have 6 mid-bass drivers at the LCR and subwoofer also dealing the lowest frequencies.

There is the RC-80i 8" Polk in-ceiling (rounded) version for 20$ more if you want to have bit more headroom and don´t have issue mounting larger speakers. I don´t know how loud you will be listening.

Yes i noticed that with the HDMI ARC issue. It´s new model so either you buy it and see when Yamaha releases firmware (downloadable) upgrade to fix the issue or you pay more to get similar level receiver. From Denon it would be this model, notice how much the price jumps and this is even on sale!

If it comes too tight with the budget then perhaps this would help, although the new Pro should be considerably better so is it worth saving 125$ in the long run? I would say no, but working with tight budget is tricky.

The AT-screen allows you to mount the speakers in identical height for all three. That means you would ask your wife to measure from floor to seated ear height when you sit on couch. You would mount the 265 so that the tweeters (the driver in the middle) would be at ear height when seated. So if your wife measures it like i said then you know exactly how to mount the speakers. That would apply to LCR and for surround speakers (again tweeter at seated ear height). You understand it?

The 265 model has dual 6,5" drivers so no need for larger ones. You have 6 mid-bass drivers at the LCR and subwoofer also dealing the lowest frequencies.

There is the RC-80i 8" Polk in-ceiling (rounded) version for 20$ more if you want to have bit more headroom and don´t have issue mounting larger speakers. I don´t know how loud you will be listening.

Yes i noticed that with the HDMI ARC issue. It´s new model so either you buy it and see when Yamaha releases firmware (downloadable) upgrade to fix the issue or you pay more to get similar level receiver. From Denon it would be this model, notice how much the price jumps and this is even on sale!

If it comes too tight with the budget then perhaps this would help, although the new Pro should be considerably better so is it worth saving 125$ in the long run? I would say no, but working with tight budget is tricky.
Thank you. Not sure if you mentioned it earlier...how far apart should surround LCR speakers be placed (all 3 going behind AT-screen)?

Thank you. Not sure if you mentioned it earlier...how far apart should surround LCR speakers be placed (all 3 going behind AT-screen)?

Will you be using the 2nd order of room or the first one you posted? And listeners 15feet from screen?

Will you be using the 2nd order of room or the first one you posted? And listeners 15feet from screen?
Actually, we changed our mind and able to convince my wife to stick with 1st order
(initially, we didn't like the 1st order as the sofa is blocking the walkway from room to room). Here is the original picture (1st order) So, in 1st order, it is about 14.5 to 15 ft from projector to sofa and also please let me know the positioning for Atmos speakers (how far they both need to be separated).

Can you also please provide me guidance on speaker placement in case if we don't go with ATS and instead stick with the regular screen but place the center speaker below the screen (there is a 2 ft gap between the ground and screen) and LR go besides the screen.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 8.36.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 8.36.00 PM.png
    411.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
You can see the overhead speakers would be placed on same width as your front L/R speakers. See link below, also you see the angle toward listener, so slightly in front. You can´t move couch much cause you will install the surround speakers on side walls and you don´t want them to be in front of you. Rather slightly behind.

The front main speakers shouldn´t be installed too close to (sides of) screen and not too close to side wall (corner) either. If you stick with the normal screen then mount the center channel dead center and i mean the tweeter (middle driver) so 8ft 0,5in and before making holes make sure you have the projector installed and shoot picture to bare wall. Sit down and see is the height ok.

You could send email to Polk and that latest room plan picture. Tell them you sit at 15feet away and then ask their opinion for the L/R placement for the 265 model! If they would be mounted 2feet from side wall that angle (apart) would be within Dolbys recommendation, but without knowing the dispersion etc. i don´t know what would be optimal spot for these. Such a big job and you can´t change the location after making holes. This is why i`m not a fan of in-wall speakers, but understand if you want cleaner look, although subwoofer will be there still (hopefully PB1000 Pro).

Change the overhead in-ceiling speakers to these (sold as each) these are closer to quality of the Vanishing serie (265), they are Polk refurbished with 2year warranty with 65% discount. So about same price as the RC-80i.

You can see the overhead speakers would be placed on same width as your front L/R speakers. See link below, also you see the angle toward listener, so slightly in front. You can´t move couch much cause you will install the surround speakers on side walls and you don´t want them to be in front of you. Rather slightly behind.
--> Yeah, in the picture, it looks like the surround speakers are way behind the sofa
The front main speakers shouldn´t be installed too close to (sides of) screen and not too close to side wall (corner) either. If you stick with the normal screen then mount the center channel dead center and i mean the tweeter (middle driver) so 8ft 0,5in and before making holes make sure you have the projector installed and shoot picture to bare wall. Sit down and see is the height ok.
--> Sorry, can you please explain where the center speaker to be set up as I have only 2 ft. I did not understand "so 8ft 0,5in"
You could send email to Polk and that latest room plan picture. Tell them you sit at 15feet away and then ask their opinion for the L/R placement for the 265 model! If they would be mounted 2feet from side wall that angle (apart) would be within Dolbys recommendation, but without knowing the dispersion etc. i don´t know what would be optimal spot for these. Such a big job and you can´t change the location after making holes. This is why i`m not a fan of in-wall speakers, but understand if you want cleaner look, although subwoofer will be there still (hopefully PB1000 Pro).
--> Will do
Change the overhead in-ceiling speakers to these (sold as each) these are closer to quality of the Vanishing serie (265), they are Polk refurbished with 2year warranty with 65% discount. So about same price as the RC-80i.
--> Oh, I already purchased RC65i from amazon (for Atmos) and it is being shipped, let me see if I can return those and buy these instead.

--> Yeah, in the picture, it looks like the surround speakers are way behind the sofa

--> Sorry, can you please explain where the center speaker to be set up as I have only 2 ft. I did not understand "so 8ft 0,5in"

--> Will do

--> Oh, I already purchased RC65i from amazon (for Atmos) and it is being shipped, let me see if I can return those and buy these instead.

Surrounds to side walls and perhaps slightly higher than seated ear height, not much though as you don´t want them too close to in-ceiling speakers. Not sure how high your ceiling is?

Center channel midway of front wall which was 16ft 10in, as the middle seat is center too. You would mount it just below the screen. Again i don´t know how close it can be vs. screen, these are the things you need to ask from Polk.

Yeah try to swap as that V60 model looks better.

We determined that front LR speakers are coming close to sidewall, the wall is 16 ft wide and out of which 11 ft will go away for the screen (150 inches unless I reduce the screen size to squeeze in speakers) so that gives only 2 ft on either side to place the LR speakers and that will be next to sidewall...not sure if it degrades the sound.

So, I am debating whether to go with ATS and place speakers behind the screen (not sure if there is going to be any issues with picture quality with holes in it....)

This link is not working for me -

Just go to Polk site and search for support, email and then that should open.

You don´t want the main speakers too narrow either. The 2feet should be ok, but ask from Polk still cause those speakers can´t be toed in (angled toward listeners) and how close they can be the screen. If you buy AT-screen you also need to leave X space from the driver and screen material so installing it slightly forward.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom