5.1 Surround Speaker placement with a corner TV

AlexDJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for some advice around 5.1 speaker placement, before I start chiseling away at the walls to hide speaker cables.

My TV will be in the corner of the room, appreciate that this is not optimal, and my resulting speaker placement will compromised. but I need to maximise sofa seating and I don't want stadium seating!

My TV is going to placed on a closed off chimney breast which is at an angle in the corner of the room. Beneath it, I'll put the center speaker (at roughly ear height when sitting), and then I'll have the front Left and Right speakers on each side of the tv positioned a ~foot higher than the center and slightly forward of the TV,( I've read they should be slightly higher so as to not obscure the center speaker).

When it comes to the surround speakers ( in 5.1 setups we're not supposed to call them 'rears' right?) i'm not sure where to place them, I have 2 very similar ideas which are below. I can't think of a way to get the speakers more in line with the ears of the listener (which is optimal position i'm led to believe)

Also, should I consider Ceiling speakers above the listener instead?

Ideasforspeakers.PNG

Thank-you

Hi, corner set-ups are always a compromise but I think you're looking pretty good here but I have a few thoughts for you.

Also, should I consider Ceiling speakers above the listener instead?
I would consider some ceiling speakers in addition to the side surrounds, not instead of them. I would put the sides in the position shown in your lower diagram at about 30cm above seated ear height and add a pair of ceiling speakers in the position shown and assign them as height channels. This will help create a bubble of surround sound and should massively reduce the localisation of the sides surrounds which are (by necessity) too far forward.
1650612108172.png

Before Atmos some people would have run 7.1 (and you still could) this way but if you have an Atmos AVR designating them as Heights for a 5.1.2 set-up will probably be better given the latest upmixers. If you have a couple more channels to play with you could add front heights/tops too and go 5.1.4 which is probably the ultimate configuration for your room.

Beneath it, I'll put the center speaker (at roughly ear height when sitting), and then I'll have the front Left and Right speakers on each side of the tv positioned a ~foot higher than the center and slightly forward of the TV,( I've read they should be slightly higher so as to not obscure the center speaker).
I would place the front L/R a little wider apart if possible (Dolby guide is minimum 44° spread angle) as this increases channel separation and the perceived scale of the front soundstage.

Also if the centre's at ear height as you say then I would only place the L/R a little bit higher than the centre as you don't want to create a U-shaped sound field when sound pans across the front which it does often. I've never read what you've read about "obscuring" - a reference system would have them all at the exact same height behind an acoustically transparent screen. In your case placing them a bit higher is OK as it helps lift the sound closer to the screen and the action.

Agree with Mr Wolf above. Would just add:

Are in wall speakers for FL and FR available that have drivers inside that could be directed more towards your listening height? I think M&K have (or maybe they're obsolete) speakers with directional drivers inside? That way it could compensate for them being mounted higher if that's your goal for aesthetics/practicality.

Speakers in ceiling can be dearer and require more work etc... you could consider on wall flat speakers, have a look here at what @whitehart did (and there are other pictures on that thread about it):

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom