5.1 surround sound system

lesz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello

Whilst I have been reading threads for a while this is my first 'new' one. I am a novice in the home cinema arena. I have recently purchased a sony bravia 46'' 4500w, a sony 550 blu ray and a virgin + cable box.

I now want to purchase an av receiver and some 5.1 speakers. I am looking to spend max £500-£600 (inc cables). I am very confused with the choices out there. Can anybody suggest what my best options could be + the best place to get these from.

Many thanks

Last edited:
I recently bought The Marantz Sr5002 for £280 and my new Psb Alpha speaker package for £180 should hopefully arrive tomorrow.

I'll let you know how it all sounds once i've got it set up.

You might struggle to find that exact amp but Peter Tyson still have loads of the speaker packages.

Thanks - it would be good to hear how it sounds. I'm not too concerned with music playing, it's movie and TV sound that I want to improve over what the TV now does. Also my Blu ray upscales DVD pictures so that's not a great need either.

I can certainly recommend the Sony STR DG-820 for the AV amp side. Well reveiwed and acts as a HDMi switcher for all your components.

On the speaker side I would also be interested what people suggest. I have been using my massive 5.1 missions for the last few years but they are just to damn big and are taking over the living room!! :D

I can certainly recommend the Sony STR DG-820 for the AV amp side. Well reveiwed and acts as a HDMi switcher for all your components.

On the speaker side I would also be interested what people suggest. I have been using my massive 5.1 missions for the last few years but they are just to damn big and are taking over the living room!! :D

The STRDG820 is now discontinued so if you did decide this was the way to go, you'd need to get its replacement. The STRDH800 is the model that will replace the STRDG820. The STRDH800 isn't available yet and wont be shipping until next month. Play.com are taking pre ordersfor it and they are asking £280 for it.

I'd probably recommend the Wharfdale Diamond 9 HCP 5.1 speaker package for use with the Sony. This package can be had for £350
WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9 HCP HOME CINEMA SPEAKER SYSTEM (LIMITED EDITION, WALNUT FINISH) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/4281 for details

Thanks for all this guys. I don't have any speakers at present. I've also seen some sites sell the new yamaha av amps - v365 and v465 + speakers as a package. Any ideas how good these could be?

Sony bravia 46'' 4500, sony 550 blu ray, virgin + cable box

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom