5.1 surround sound on my tv.. help!!

tump13b

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

My problem is that i can only get 2.1 out of my 5.1 speakers.
I've had this surround sound system (creative p5800) for a few years and then now my dad has gotten a new tv, and so i want to use it on that instead.
I've already messaged on a different forum and they helped for a bit but have now abandoned me haha, but apparently the only output on my tv is LINE OUT which on mine is 2 rca sockets, red and white. I've plugged an aux cable from that into my subwoofer (which receives the 5 sattelites too), but that only gives me 2.1 sound.
Apparently my tv doesn't have a 5.1 digital decoder (you'll have to excuse me i'm a bit of an audio noob) and so i was wondering if there's some kind of box or seperate device which goes between my surround sound and the tv which will sort this out for me?

Thanks alot

yeh...its basically because theres no processor onboard your (to be honest, fairly basic) speaker set. Its designed for PC use, where theres 6ch out (front l/r, rear l/r, sub, centre). You only have 2ch out (the bass from the front speakers is diverted to the sub).

You'll either need to get another set of compact speakers with a decoder (Acoustic Energy aego p5 is a very nice choice) or get a surround sound amp. I seem to remember its practically forbidden to link to ebay auctions on here...sorry...i mean "famous auction site :lesson: :devil: " but type in Yamaha DSP, Yamaha RXV, Pioneer VSX or Harman Kardon and you'll find a plethora of alternatives available.
You'll have to butcher the ends of the speaker cables this way but you'll be able to use the same speakers with the exception of the sub. Alternatively, keep them as-is, flog them, then get a set of commercially available 5.1 speakers.

Remember the TV won't output 5.1 anyway, so the best you can hope for is Dolby Pro Logic (as opposed to Dolby Digital)

Remember the TV won't output 5.1 anyway, so the best you can hope for is Dolby Pro Logic (as opposed to Dolby Digital)

true but even so, theres no processing on board that Creative set anyway, so even DPL is out of reach

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom