5.1 surround sound for ps3 - please help

arpca69

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I'd greatly appreciate your advice because Im so clueless in this area. Infact most of the topics requiring audio in these forums, I can not understand what you guys are talking about:rolleyes:

Im thinking of buying a all-in-1 box home cinema system. Due to the good reviews my attention has been mostly on the following

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_...370/Manuals/7097372/index.html?trackInfo=true

The reason Im considering buying something like this is because I always get annoyed whenever Im watching a blu-ray/DVD on my ps3 and I can't make out the dialogue over all the background noise on my TV. I bought a 2.1 soundbar in the past (cheap low spec one:facepalm:) and it barely made a difference. Im hoping this panasonic 5.1 package will help me hear the dialogue and solve the problem?

Another concern of mine is that I won't be able to set it up correctly and its going to be a big waste of money. Do you think I could set this up despite having no speaker experience in this area?

Im hoping to connect it to the above panasonic package to my ps3 to play my blu-ray/DVD films and ps3 games in better sound quality. I would then use the blu-ray player included in the panasonic 5.1 package linked above in another room without surround sound. How would I go about connecting all these speakers to my ps3 (the ps3 just has one HDMI and one optical) and does the panasonic 5.1 system include everything I need so that I don't need to buy anything else?

Often I read about connecting speakers to receiver or connecting ps3 to receiver. In the picture in the link I provided off the SCBTT370, it just seems to show a blu-ray player, a subwoofer and 5 speakers. Do I need to buy a receiver to connect my ps3 up the the surround sound or by purchasing the above SCBTT370 all-in-one package in the link I provided, have I everything I need?

I need a bit of help. Hopefully what I said is understandable

Thanks everyone:)

Last edited:
Hello,

With most all-in-ones, the speakers are connected to the main box, in this case, the blu-ray player itself so, it would not work as you suggest. If the amplification is via the subwoofer then it may be a different story but, I suspect not.

My ex-wifes hubby bought a lower model Panasonic and he told me it's driving him nuts. I had a tinker with the settings and couldn't get the bass level down. It sounds dreadful.

IMHO a budget amp ( AV Receiver ) and a set of speakers would deliver better sound from your PS3 and allow you the flexibility to connect to other devices such as a Sky HD box to get more out of the system.

best wishes,

Col.

Just had a look at the instructions for the Panasonic to which you refer and the speaker connections are indeed into the back of the blu-ray. At least it has 2 x HDMI inputs so you could at least connect your PS3 and one other HDMI device.

So, the PS3 would have to be connected directly to the back of the Panasonic blu-ray to get audio output.

best wishes,

Col.

Thanks for such a clear explanation

My attention has been drawn to this
Onkyo HT-S3405 5.1 Surround Sound reviews, prices and deals: Blu-ray Home Cinema System

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this includes an AV receiver and 5 speakers

Do you think this (or even the onkyo HTS5405) would be better than the panasonic SC-BTT370? Is there any others you think I should look as for between £200-400 as there is very few reviews?

If you can go for the 5405 instead of the 3405. This is because the 5405 has an active sub (only passive in the 3405) which gives some sound quality gains but also makes upgrading/replacement easier/cheaper in the future. You are also correct in the fact that both are based around an AV reciever (in this case the budget Onkyo 309).

You're welcome! I'm with PSM1 on this one, all the way. I have an Onkyo TX-NR808 and Kef 3005se speakers but, I started with a Yamaha AV Receiver and speakers from Richer Sounds. Then, as PSM1 says, I slowly upgraded, first speakers then AV Receiver and so on.

You won't regret getting separates rather than an all in one system, much more flexible. But, it's all down to budget really and if you are looking to spend around 400 then choice is limited for separates. You may be better looking for a moderate to good second hand setup.

best wishes,

Col.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks col, I think Im just going to ring up richersounds and ask about the onkyo HTS5405 speaker package.

My main annoyance with sound in TVs is that I find it hard to hear dialogue so hopefully the HTS5405 will solve this situation. As this is my first jump into home cinema l will see how it goes for me with the HTS5405 and If I like it enough I might be like you guys and upgrade in the future :)

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem mate! Glad to help!

The Onkyo 5405 looks like a really good choice!

best wishes,

Col.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom