• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

5.1 Surround sound for PS3 - ADVICE

S

savin69

Good Evening Everyone,

Would like some advice on 5.1 surround sound for the Sony Playstation 3 - i currently have no knowlege in the surround sound world.

I would like to connect my PS3 and Samsung 32" Flatscreen TV to a 5.1 surround sound. On a budget of £150 (give of take)

I have seen some home cinema systems around that price but it seems an optical/HDMI connnection would be required for the PS3 to connect to the DVD player. I also dont require a DVD player because my PS3 can supply that. Therefore leaving the DVD player redundant.

Many Thanks in advance

Dave :lease:

ukbandit

Established Member
do you have an amp? if not an all in one package would need to include some amp in there as the TV and PS3 wwould not be able to drive the speakers.

ukbandit

Established Member
I dont currently have anything - VMT Dave

then your looking at something like this

not saying this but something like this, although to be honest £150 may not get you much. looking around, optical seems hard to find on that pricepoint....

richersounds may also have something, they have clearance as well so have a look at those sections.

good luck :)

For the past few years ive used a Sony HTSL7A with sub and 5.1 sound, has served me very well even with xbox360 and ps3, it hasnt got a multitude of connections on the back, what i did was connect the ps3 to the telly via hdmi (i guess you do this too?) then connect the ps3 to the amp via toslink (optical) and the tv to the amp via phono, then when i want surround sound just select the amp channel that has the tv or ps3 plugged into (with the ps3 though you need to change the sound setting on the ps3 menu to optical)

reason im giving a nice speech as theres the exact same setup for sale in the classifieds :) bargain at £60 delivered :) then you can start saving for a better setup, ive made do for a fair few years as its not bad, just spent £800 on an onkyo605 and 7.1 speaker set up.

other than that agree with the guy above richersounds could be a solution as they have some good kit in there bargains bit

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom