• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

5.1 Surround sound confusion (cables to set it up on tv).

E

eryc

hi all,

I don't really know what i'm doing but will try my best to explain.

I've just been given a 5.1 surround sound system (acoustic solutions), and I want to get my tv sound out through the speakers.

they are all phono outputs (think that's right) on the back with 6 for the 5.1 sound and then 2 for the aux sound.

i've got the aux working with my pc (phono output to headphone jack input to the pc). I have more cables for the 5.1 connections, which would leave me with 3 headphone jack inputs, but this wont go in the tv anywhere. I also have a DVD player but they wont go in there either.

So, what do I need to get the sound from the tv coming out the 5.1 speakers?

I spoke to a techy friend who talked about amps, but he lost me a little and then quickly moved the conversation on.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 30535

First of all I am not aware that there are any 5.1 TV broadcasts over "terrestrial" TV.

Secondly the phonos you refer to on the Amp are Inputs, not outputs, but that's just semantics.

The 6 phono INPUTS on your amplifier are for connecting to a source who outputs 5.1 over phonos. Most DVD players will have these. Some TV's MAY have this but highly unlikely. Some TV's may have a digital output but you need a digital input on your amp.

Failing that the way to get "pseudo" 5.1 from your TV is to connect your TV's AUX output (L+R) to the amplifier like you have with the PC. Your amp MAY be able to create a 5.1 output from a stereo source or at least from a dolby digital stereo source which may have the rear surrounds embedded within the "plain" stereo signal.

MarkTaylor

Prominent Member
Could you check the exact model number of the system you've got there?

Acoustic Solutions make a number of different low end speaker systems with varying features so it would help if we knew exactly what you have.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom