5.1 Surround placement advice

Otekki

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 5.1 setup and while not ideal it has done me well. I have a pair on Cambridge Audio Min12's as my surround speakers and they are currently on speaker stands as show in the attached photo. With a toddler starting to grab things I'd like to move the stands and potentially put the speakers to the back wall.
I know this is not where surround speakers should go but the alternative is to get rid of the surround speakers altogether which I see as a big of a waste of money.

Any advice/experience placing 5.1 surrounds behind? I'd hide cables in some thin painted trunking.

Thanks

Attachments

• C37611C2-7CF4-4DF6-8103-40997C94FE8A_1_201_a.jpeg
    C37611C2-7CF4-4DF6-8103-40997C94FE8A_1_201_a.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 41
Just put them on the wall but not as high as you've indicated. We all have to make some compromises when children are involved. I sold mine.......the kids I mean.

Just put them on the wall but not as high as you've indicated. We all have to make some compromises when children are involved. I sold mine.......the kids I mean.
haha! Roughly how high above listening height would you suggest? Someone on fb said to put high and aim down but I never trust fb comments! They'd be directly behind me but I dont really have any alternatives

You will need to have them high enough to miss the top of the heads of people when seated. I don't know how they fit to the wall but if you can angle them then all the better. You can adjust the volume levels after running a new calibration. It may not be perfect but still a damn sight better than a soundbar.

You could put them higher, that may work for you. As I've said it's a compromise, a necessary one. The Minx are small and light so why not try some Command Tape and experiment with placement before committing to drilling holes. All it will initially cost will be having enough cable to reach the higher position.

Amazon product ASIN B00016ZLDY

You will need to have them high enough to miss the top of the heads of people when seated. I don't know how they fit to the wall but if you can angle them then all the better. You can adjust the volume levels after running a new calibration. It may not be perfect but still a damn sight better than a soundbar.

You could put them higher, that may work for you. As I've said it's a compromise, a necessary one. The Minx are small and light so why not try some Command Tape and experiment with placement before committing to drilling holes. All it will initially cost will be having enough cable to reach the higher position.

Amazon product ASIN B00016ZLDY
fantastic idea, thank you!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom