5.1 surround media player for Denon AVR- x520bt AV setup

jessmardon

Novice Member
Hi there,

I’m installing an AV setup with surround sound for an exhibition and need to find a high quality surround sound capable media player.

My setup uses a Denon AVR-x520bt with bowers wilkins 5.1 surround speaker setup. I will be playing an AV work through the setup as follows.. media player connected to Denon, sound though the speakers connected to the Denon and video to a projector via the hdmi out on the Denon.

So I need a media player that is capable of playing high quality video (HD h.264) and audio (5.1 AAC) from a usb with the preloaded AV file.

I’ve been looking around online, but struggling to find anything that says it can support both high quality audio and video within the reviews. Would anyone have any suggestions on what I could buy?

thanks
Jessica

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I think you could come foul of the HDCP rules here with what it seems you are trying to achieve. I would add that if you are wanting a solution which allows you to connect streaming solutions, the Roku are a very good option. I use a couple at home for the kids and they love them as it allows then to access everything that we currently use

Roku connectivity is HDMI and not USB

jessmardon

Novice Member
Thanks this is not for streaming. It’s my own video created from scratch ;)

I just need to play it through a suitable media player that can support both high quality 5.1 sound and HD video.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If its for home movies which you have saved onto USB sticks or HDD, then simply plugging them into the TV and allow it to distribute the audio back to the AV source (if it has the ability). There shouldn't be any HDCP issues which could stop this from working

You may need to use the optical output on your TV to the AV Receiver if you TV cannot pass 5.1 back to the AV Receiver as many TV's will downsample to 2 channel PCM

Hope that helps

Last edited:

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
I recommend amlogic CPU based boxes 905x3.

2gb is plenty with coreelac (Kodi os) probably best to go for 4gb if you stick to android OS with Kodi as app. Not much ram left on my 2gb model in Android

jessmardon

Novice Member
Hey, I bought an X96 Max Amazon product and am able to play back files via my denon sound system with visuals from the projector via HDMI. However, I haven't been able to get it to play back files surround. If I play the surround test file at AAC Multichannel Playback Test from my mac hooked up to my denon, the file plays surround automatically from quicktime. But if I load the file onto a usb and play via the X96 then I only get the front channels for sound when I play by the inbuilt video player or VLC for android. Is there some step I'm missing, or another application I should be using to playback surround sound?

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
That's normal..aac can't be outputted as aac as no avr supports it. So you have stereo pcm then apply your avr DSP like pro logic iix

Or use the setting in Kodi to transcode aac to ac-3

Attachments

• IMG_20220519_151039984.jpg
    IMG_20220519_151039984.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 7

jessmardon

Novice Member
ah great thanks, I see. I've now managed to play back in surround via kdplayer with the transcoding, which is a big step forward, thank you. the only snag I have now is how to get the file to repeat, which it seems is surprisingly difficult. I have the file on a usb, but don't seem to be able to find it when I make a playlist.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
ah great thanks, I see. I've now managed to play back in surround via kdplayer with the transcoding, which is a big step forward, thank you. the only snag I have now is how to get the file to repeat, which it seems is surprisingly difficult. I have the file on a usb, but don't seem to be able to find it when I make a playlist.

I would recommend using coreelac rather than android +Kodi . Better video rate switching less memory and CPU overheads and better audio/video codec support

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'I’m installing an AV setup with surround sound for an exhibition'
'the only snag I have now is how to get the file to repeat, which it seems is surprisingly difficult'.

How are you controlling/scheduling the system?
Is it a single file or multiple files you are looking to loop and do they always play in teh same sequence?
How many hours and which days is it running and how long for?
Is there an AV Tech onsite?
Do you have a spare Lamp for the projector in stock?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom