5.1 surround from 7.1 amp with music in different room

jiminy

Standard Member
i am currently looking for a 5.1 amp but i saw on a post that people with 7.1 amps sometimes use the 2 spares for a different set of speakers.

so what i am thinking is getting a 7.1 amp, using it as 5.1 and then guiding the two extra wires into the next room to use with a second set of speakers.
Will this work?
can i listen to music in both rooms at the same time, or in each room independently?
Will i need to buy anything else to make it work?

thanks

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You really need to buy an AV amp that has 2 zones so you can power speakers in 2 different locations. A 7.1 amp can not really be made to work as you want unless it has a zone function. This is because the extra 2 connections will be for rear speakers and so not have a full signal sent to them.

jiminy

Standard Member
i started looking at the Denon avr1910 and the spec says "2 source 2 zone" so im assuming this will probably do what i want.

using this site is giving me expensive ideas.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I believe the 1910 will do what you want. It is also a very good amp and handles music well as well. You will not go far wrong getting the 1910.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom