5.1 speakers for movies and music

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by DistortionNat, Feb 9, 2009.

1. DistortionNat

DistortionNat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hi guys,
    Im going to pick up my Denon 1909 amp tomorrow and in a couple of weeks will be buying a 5.1 speaker package to go with it, but I am still not 100% sure which speakers to go for.
    The thing is I will be needing my system to not only provide 5.1 for movies but also will be using the system as my main hi-fi for music too.
    My budget is probably going to be around £300 for the 5 satellites and sub, but if there is anything anyone could recommend that is cheaper I am all ears!

Thanks,

Nat.

2. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    The problem you have small satellites with a cheap(ish) sub such as you'd get at that budget are really ideal for music. A decent set of front speakers alone that will do music justice are going to be at least 100, and entry money for a decent sub is around 200.

Personally I'd recommend starting with a decent 2.1 set to start with, such as Wharfedale 9.1 for 112 (Wharfedale 9.1 Bookshelf Speakers - Shop A V Bristol - Detailed item view) with a BK Gemini for 195 (Gemini) or MS309i for 180 (https://www.forumhifivisual.co.uk/Speakers/Subwoofers/MORDAUNT_SHORT_AVANT_309i_SUBWOOFER_1655.html).

Alternatively, spend a little more on larger fronts (so a sub is less of a necessity) and spend the balance on centes/rears (5.0), and add the sub later.

Then add the centre and rears when funds allow.

Chris

3. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333